ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY ****THE CHAMBER OCTOBER 21, 2016****

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
I promise we'll quit beating you over the head with this story after this, but the traffic and attention it's gotten has been far and above what I expected when I wrote it. So if there are any on here who haven't read it and have an extra 30-40 minutes, here's the Oral History of Mizzou to the SEC.

Also, our Ole Miss guys had me on their podcast to talk about it.

At some point today, I'll put together a post with some thoughts on the story, the process, the epilogue, the conference stuff, all of that. But now on to why you guys are here. Not a ton of recruiting news but we've got some. Some of this is a recap for those who are on every day, but such is the nature of the Internet.

FOOTBALL

*Missouri will have an official visitor this week in Jones (MS) CC offensive lineman Kelby Wickline. Wickline was a Texas San Antonio commit out of high school, went the juco route, added 35 pounds and now has a handful of Power Five offers.

Mizzou would definitely take a commitment from Wickline if he wanted to do so this weekend. We haven't talked directly to him, but our feeling is that isn't real likely. We've seen TCU and West Virginia mentioned as likely leaders at this point. His dad, Joe Wickline, is the Mountaineers OL coach. There is also a good amount of family in Stillwater as that's where dad coached when he was in high school (Oklahoma State). But things didn't end all that well between Wickline and OSU so not sure the Pokes would be an option. Either way, we'll try to reach him after the trip.

*There will also be a couple of unofficial visitors from the 2018 class on campus this weekend. Illinois prospects Tyrik Henderson and Micah Jones will be here, they've told us. It's obviously early in the process for these guys. Don't know a ton about Jones yet, other than he has four stars. But this is Henderson's third trip to Columbia in the last six months or so. We're not thinking he would end things this early and commit, but it may not be out of the question. We'll talk with him on Sunday for sure, and hopefully Jones too.

*Also expect Ronnie Perkins to be in town (as he is for every home game, so it's hardly "news" that he'll be here) as well as another trip for Tiger commitment Jafar Armstrong (out of everyone in the class, we're confident saying you don't have to worry about Armstrong looking around at all).

Armstrong has 30 catches for 600 yards and nine touchdowns (plus two rushing TDs) in seven games for Bishop Miege. In three years, he's now got 148 catches for more than 3000 yards and 37 total touchdowns. Not bad. This kid could really be one of the gems of this class.

Other notes:

*Mizzou was the first offer for 2018 Seattle running back Tre'Shaun Harrison, who can play any number of positions (and is also a pretty solid point guard). The Tigers offered on Wednesday. UCLA and Washington State followed yesterday. Pretty impressive that Mizzou would be the first to offer a Seattle junior who is clearly going to have PAC-12 opportunities. Not sure it will be enough to matter, but impressive nonetheless.

*Jaylen Kelly-Powell was supposed to take a visit to Alabama this weekend, but that's not happening. Not sure why. His name was brought up here a lot this summer. Mizzou loves him. Hard to see the Tigers having a great chance here just judging by what we've seen over the last few months since he camped here. That's a gut feeling, nothing based on information we have.

BASKETBALL

A few basketball recruiting notes:

Felipe Haase comes in this weekend for an official visit. He appears to be Missouri's top priority right now as the staff really would like to take a big for 2017. There's really not much out on there this kid so it's tough to gauge the situation. I was told a few days ago that Louisville and Purdue are the schools Missouri is most worried about here but I haven't checked in since the Louisville news about NCAA allegations broke yesterday.

As for Anthony Mack, I'm currently trying to check in with him after he got back from Georgia to see where things stand for him. I have been told Villanova changed their minds on him the past few days and are going to see him one last time with Jay Wright on Monday. There is a very good chance they offer him. If that happens he's going to be a Wildcat. I'll try and look into this more this weekend. I only got tipped off about that yesterday evening.

If Mack commits I have no clue who their new target for a shooter is since Clyde Trapp, who appeared to be the backup plan to Mack, just released a top five without Missouri in it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out early next week. Of course, the Tigers only technically have two scholarships available so they could always wait and see what happens in the spring as well.

Finally Carte'Are Gordon comes to town for the third time in three months for an unofficial visit. The staff is doing everything they can to pry him from Kansas, who I'm told is still his leader. Some have mentioned SLU on here being a threat to both schools. I'm told there is some momentum for the Billikens in his recruitment but they still trail Kansas and Missouri.

**We'll wrap up with one note on the football team. As I'm sure many of you saw yesterday, former Tiger and East St. Louis star Kellen Winslow was in to speak to the team (He is the grand marshall for Homecoming this weekend). Relations have not always been good between the Hall of Famer and his alma mater. But I've been told that Barry Odom has really been working the last few months on mending that fence and him coming to talk to the team was a major, major step. This isn't the type of thing that's going to result in a win--or maybe even change recruiting significantly--but it is something that can have a nice impact on the program overall. I know Odom has made a point to reach out to any and all former players. But Missouri doesn't have many dudes in the NFL Hall of Fame. Winslow carries a bit of weight as far as football alums go. Solid step bringing him back and making him feel like a part of the program.

That's all for now. If anything else develops through the day, we'll let you know. If recruiting news breaks during visits, we'll pass it on. Otherwise, we try to leave the kids alone until they leave campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News