ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL RECRUITING WEEKEND UPDATE

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com

Arrived in town Friday. Not sure when he leaves. May already have left. Currently has some other visits planned. Georgia and USC are involved (Arkansas was involved before Musselman left). Possible thing to watch here is Kentucky. He's a Lexington native. Mark Pope is going to need some players. If the Cats get involved, could be trouble for others. Obviously best case scenario for Mizzou is they convinced him to shut it down without the other visits this weekend. We'll see.

Took a visit to Oregon this weekend. It's the only visit we know of other than his trip to Columbia. He really hasn't talked to anyone that we've seen. Indiana has been viewed as the biggest threat all along, but the Hoosiers just got a commitment from Myles Rice, which may take them out of the mix for Perkins. Reasons for optimism here.

The expectation for three weeks has been that he'll end up at Mizzou. Still expecting that, but the longer he waits, the more doubt creeps in. As of today Missouri would take him. If they start to fill spots, that's not a guarantee. From what we're hearing the only other real threat here so far is following Lorenzo Romar to Loyola-Marymount.

Currently visiting UCONN. Would not at all be a surprise to see a commitment out of him to the Huskies, possibly as soon as today. If he gets out of the visit without a commitment it's probably good for Mizzou, but at this point, we're not really expecting that.

Mitchell's brother told us he would be making a decision "very soon." Sources have indicated some confidence around Mizzou. Kansas State is putting out the word it isn't recruiting Mitchell (whether that's their choice or his is up for interpretation). UCLA could be a threat here. Mitchell may not need visits, especially if it's Mizzou or UCLA. He visited both in high school.

What it means for the current roster

As dominoes start to fall, you'll probably see some more defections from the current players. I'm a little bit surprised those haven't happened already. My view is if your coach is out there actively looking for guys at your position, you're not super likely to play next year. But the other view is, until he gets those guys, why leave? And maybe there are things more than playing time where kids don't want to leave. For example, all I've heard for two years is that Aidan Shaw loves it at Mizzou. He's out here using his NIL money to give other students scholarships. So maybe he's okay sticking around in a more limited role for another year. I don't know. The bottom line is if Mizzou gets everything it wants in the portal, some guys almost certainly have to leave, but I can't tell you specifically who that would be.

The portal remains open for another two-and-a-half weeks so there's still plenty of time for developments in both directions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News