ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING WHAT I'M HEARING, RYAN WINGO EDITION

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
There's some murkiness going on. As of yesterday afternoon Missouri was very confident but "until he says it you sweat."

As of last night, Missouri was confident.

As of this morning, Missouri is wavering slightly. Not because they've been told anything I don't think, but mostly because they haven't. In the face of the unknown, we tend to think things have changed. That's not really true a lot of the time.

HOWEVER

I think this is mostly gamesmanship to keep everyone in suspense. I know it's crazy, but the announcement and the drama is often almost as important as the actual choice in some cases. There's been quite a turn toward Missouri in the last two weeks. Obviously Ryan and his family have seen this. I think there's some maneuvering to make sure people show up at the announcement unsure what they're going to hear.

If the numbers I've heard thrown around in the last few months are accurate, I can't see Missouri losing a bidding war for this kid. There have been a lot of people put a lot of time and resources into this. I understand Texas is Texas and has a lot of money, but I really don't see them topping some of the rumored numbers for this kid. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.

There are people in STL and around Mizzou who have been told things in the last few days that have given them extreme confidence Wingo is going to Missouri. It is my opinion, unless I hear something different in the 2 1/2 hours before I'm supposed to hit the road for St. Louis, that much of this is speculation and misdirection and Wingo will pick Missouri at 4:15 this afternoon.

To be honest, announcing anything other than Mizzou this afternoon really probably isn't in his best interest. Fair or not, all the momentum has been with Mizzou the last two weeks. Then he moves up the announcement and shows up at the Mizzou game. I'm hearing he's telling other Mizzou commits in the area to come to the announcement this afternoon. To do all that and get up and pick someone else would lead to backlash and outrage unlike we've maybe ever seen on this site and on Twitter. I just don't see him picking anyone other than Mizzou if he does make an announcement today. Because also, picking Mizzou today doesn't lock him into Mizzou. He can pick Mizzou today and continue to be recruited, which I'm sure he would be (just as I'm sure Mizzou will continue to recruit him if he picks someone else). Picking Mizzou today doesn't mean he has to on December 20. But if you're not picking Mizzou, there's far less backlash if you do it a couple months removed from this visit and all the public momentum.

My guesses at what happens today in order:

1) He picks Mizzou
2) He postpones the announcement
3) He picks someone else

This is five-star recruiting guys. It happens every time. And usually the common belief going into the announcement ends up being correct. Buckle up, we'll all know in about six hours...I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News