ADVERTISEMENT

5 Thoughts for Monday Morning (Bonus Edition)

ABaumli

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2005
So, crazy week of travel last week. Went to San Francisco for work again (more on that later) and took the family to the beaches near Port Aransas, Texas (where Hurricane Harvey made direct landfall as Cat 4). So without further adieu:

1. Mosquitoes are the spawn of satan. I hate getting bit. I hate my kids getting bit. We don't have ticks as much down here (sorry MO), but Mosquitoes are enemy #1 in terms of disease and nuisance. KILL THEM ALL. What positive benefit do Mosquitoes serve in the grand scheme other than preserving our DNA. I swatted at least 3 mosquitoes (which hadn't bitten me yet) and blood splatter out. Now I have other human or animal blood on me. Super duper. I had to bathe my kids in Cortisone every night. Other than that, the trip was great. I did some bike riding from Port A to Malaquite Beach. It was hot and humid, but it was a nice route. The Dunes on the south side looked like a Links golf course in Scotland. Wife and I have talked about buying a house down there to VRBO, but there is a lot of land opening up for development and I fear the market will be over saturated.
  2. Kavanaugh appointment has hit an all time low in terms of political shadiness, by both sides. I often try to look at things and think, if the Dems appointed Kavanaugh and GOPers held on the claims and brought them up to try and stop appointment at the 11th hour, would I feel the same. The answer is YES. I hated what the GOP did with Garland. I think McConnell should be booted. Now I think Feinstein should be booted as well. Going into midterms, it looks very likely that Dems take control of house. It would be a disservice and would alienate millennials if Dems make Nancy Pelosi Speaker of the House again, but I read that's the plan. Back to the Judge (soon to be Justice), the article in the New Yorker is appalling, especially for someone as good as Farrow (he's a good journalist, maybe was). I don't know if he ran with this for political purposes or knowing that he was going to lose it if he didn't run with it. I read over the weekend that 4 people on the witness list refuted or denied Ford's claim about party. This is news. Normally, it would be a lead. It doesn't even make the morning shows this morning other than Fox and Friends (FFS). The real issue I have here is the lack of journalistic integrity. I don't want to watch 7 different news programs to try and get the full story. I mostly just watch CNBC now. Actually, that's all I watch. I knew about Fox and Friends via Twitter. On sexual assault, I want women to feel comfortable coming forward, but I also want the accused to have the right to face their accuser. I know it is tough, but it is the best way to find justice for all. I think we are at a low point for media and politics. Sadly, I don't think we have hit the bottom. I would encourage everyone to focus on local elections going forward more. Local elections have the greatest form of accountability, IF voters pay attention locally (which they often don't). In the end, I really want Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS, because I want Chevron Deference over ruled. It's BS that we can create govt. agencies to replace components of the judicial system.
  3. Beto v. Cruz. (For Texas Senate) I really don't like Ted Cruz. I like about 30% of Beto. My main issue with Beto is that he does the same liberal elite condescending communication style to those who disagree with some of his policies. He does a good amount of hyperbole. Hyperbole gets clicks. It also takes advantage of stupid people. Just for example, Abortion. I hear all the time that men should not be allowed to govern a woman's body. Ok, that's a point, but if that's your point, then you should be opposed to Roe v. Wade. Roe v. Wade actually upholds the ability to deny, make illegal, late term abortions (abortions after fetus is viable). Now we don't argue for 7 month abortions, about 95% (educated guess) want late term abortions to remain illegal. But we don't talk about the issue realistically, we do it in hyperbole. GOPers do this too. I am anti abortion. I could see legalization of morning after pill. I also think that adoption process should be much more transparent, easier, and less expensive. I would rather a family commit $25K to raising the child, not paying for adoption process. Anyways, I don't like hyperbole, but Beto does it. Cruz does it too, so it is a wash. For example, Cruz thinks that immigrants are going to murder us all. They aren't. We all think that violent criminals should be deported, so let's focus on that process and stopping them from getting back into the USA. I would prefer Beto to win as long as GOP held Senate. The Dem party has shown they will violate the constitution to get what they want immediately even if it will destroy them later (see nuclear option). The delay on appointing judges is denying everyone timely justice in the US. If I see the GOP looking like they will hold 52 spots, I will definitely pull the trigger for Beto, but my mind could be changed. This is really more about how much I dislike Cruz.
  4. Mizzou loss to Georgia - Mizzou could have, should have won that game, but Georgia has far more talent. I don't really like Dooley's offense, because I think it hurts Mizzou when they are against more talented teams. Mizzou cannot line up and just defeat more talented teams consistently. It needs mismatches so that the 3 or 4 guys who are more talented can make plays. I think Dooley has done a pretty good job for the most part. I just don't like the direction. I really would like to see Lock run a little more to slow down defensive line. Lock is a better version of James Franklin (better passer and looks faster). I think the fumble call on Albert O was fine. Could it have been blown dead, yes, but I don't think it was terrible. On the defense, Mizzou's DBs were in position, they just got beat. I didn't like Smart at first, but I think Georgia is about to put a Bama style stranglehold on the East. His superstar recruits are still 1 year away from their prime. Mizzou needs to find some gems, but it is getting harder and harder with all the coverage high school recruiting gets now.
  5. Jordan Peterson. I know he is controversial, but there is a video on FB that goes around and it makes very good points that I agree with. We do not despise, dislike or hate people because of their fragility, but we actually love them for it. We don't teach our kids to not be vulnerable, we teach them to be strong, to overcome. I try to raise my sons to be strong, I tell my wife, it's a tough world out there and they need to know it is tough and they can come to me for help and I will help them, but they need to be self accountable first. People, kids, etc. are a lot tougher than we think. I know that from doing an Ironman that I can take more punishment than I originally thought. More so from Saint George this past May (holy hell was it hot). I don't like the direction society is heading with safe spaces and such. It's tough out there and it is better to learn to deal with adversity than to try and eliminate it, because at the end of the day, everyone will face adversity, but those who handle it better will ultimately survive, be successful, etc.
  6. The USA is effing awesome. I have always thought that the call for help in our humanity is phenomenal because US citizens answer the bell more often than anyone else. When we see failures, it is often when we rely on the government to rescue us. I believe in private citizens helping others. I think the Cajan Navy is one of the greatest examples of humanity in the US. If you every want to see something great, watch this: . The help and support after hurricane florence has been great by the private groups. I read that in Puerto Rico, the private companies did great, while the government failed in logistics. Food sat rotting on docs. Water sat on airport runway for days/weeks. Just sound the alarm, the USA volunteers will be there. NO matter your race, religion, etc., the US volunteer will be there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News