ADVERTISEMENT

A baseball franchise discussion for fellow oldtimers

firsttiger

Retired Number
Gold Member
Nov 14, 2001
Kansas City, MO
A friend sent me an article discussing the situation in Philadelphia leading to the move of the Athletics to Kansas City in 1954. In the article it was mentioned that throughout the 54 years that the A's played in Philadelphia, they were, for the most part, the fan favorites with the Phillies being something of an afterthought.
It got me to thinking about the cities in MLB from 1901 to 1953, when the Braves started the franchise transfer movement by leaving Boston for Milwaukee.
Several cities had teams in both leagues: New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, and St. Louis. This accounted for 11 of the 16 Major League franchises.
In Chicago and New York, there were definite geographic separations of the teams. In Chicago, the Cubs owned the North Side, and the White Sox ruled the South. In New York, the Dodgers were the pride of Brooklyn, The Yankees were up in the Bronx, and the Giants were in Manhattan.

But what about Philadelphia, Boston, and St. Louis? My awareness of baseball pretty much began with the arrival of the A's in April 1955. I really don't remember the Braves in Boston or the Browns in St. Louis. I do know that the Browns and Cardinals both played their home games at Sportsmans Park. The Braves played at Braves Field, which was not far from Fenway park, home of the Red Sox. And the Phillies and Athletics shared Shibe Park for many years; even when they didn't, the Phillies' Baker Bowl was in the same part of town.

So what made someone a Browns fan in St. Louis? It wouldn't seem to be a matter of what part of town one lived in. as was (and is) the case in Chicago. Same question for Boston and Philadelphia.

Curious to read the opinions here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News