ADVERTISEMENT

A discussion about race in America(campus)

bj4mu

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
In light of the ongoing hunger strike by Jonathon Butler at Mizzou, I'm curious what folks(particularly the black posters on the board)thoughts are on both the origin, as well as the degree of legitimacy of the claims.

Thoughts that come immediately to mind:(the following not at all a comprehensive list) Are black students really threatened by a random white douchebag yelling N while driving by in his car? If so...help me understand why?...why does this fear have greater legitimacy, in modern America, than a black person that might yell a racial epithet at a white kid in what is seen as a threatening manner?

Is there a presumption amongst the black community that the use of that word, with all the egregious historical connotations that accompany it, is silently endorsed by a significant faction of white students/people?...and that this endorsement could, at any time, manifest as an organized and direct threat to black students on campus? If so, I don't at all believe that to be true in today's america.

And is there a belief amongst black students that the University tacitly endorses it's use because of a failure to prevent 100% of people(as of course that is an unattainable goal) from spewing hateful, stupid shit? Personally, I don't know a single person in my slice of the world that would ever consider it's use(at least publicly, can't vouch of course for what folks do in private)...and more than that, nobody I know would allow it's use by others in their group without that person being ostracized from it. Perhaps I'm naive...but I think this view is shared by a large majority of white america right now, but I recognize not all would agree.

What policies at Mizzou, and specifically those implemented by the system president, seek to dehumanize black students, and/or make their environment incompatible or more difficult for learning?

Was the Mike Brown shooting(even as culpability for the shooting remains a topic for thoughtful people on both sides to disagree) simply a catalyst to express years of frustration over what the black community believes to be racially motivated, and disproportionally unfair(as surely there is abuse committed by bad cops against all races, in all directions)police abuse?...which then has expanded to a belief that the leadership in America is insufficiently concerned about the lives of all blacks, such that policy decisions remain, that either explicitly or implicitly seek to place obstacles for blacks that whites don't have to hurdle. If so, what are some of these policies?

When I see those kids that participated in the Homecoming Parade protest...when I see them expressing sadness and hurt to the degree that they were doing...I feel bad for those kids who harbor that kind of pain...but I have to admit I'm also a bit suspicious as to the degree of legitimacy of it's expression. Is the hurt a vicarious one in support of ancestors? What environment at Mizzou(or anywhere)could incite that kind of pain in 2015 America? I would love for someone to help me understand.

Lastly, my curiosity(if not a bit of incredulity)on the origin of the recent angst expressed by black america stems from a view that I truly believe the large majority of modern white america is well intentioned with regard to a goal of racial equality, and equal opportunity for everyone in this country. Not just with the black community, but all minorities and racial backgrounds. So why does a good chunk of black america seemingly believing just the opposite? I'm not suggesting it's all wine and roses with regard to racial integration...and I recognize there surely remains a cultural divide between the races that is difficult to entirely bridge on both sides...but a recognition that we're all equal in this country, and all deserve equal opportunity, is surely the pervasive idea that is shared by the vast majority of people I know, and I don't see persuasive evidence to the contrary that it's not the majority view throughout the country.

If one were to allow this view, ...it seems possible, that due to an understandable bias created from an ignominious history, that much of black america often "looks" for offenses or discriminations, or unequal treatment that is only there in perception, but not reality? And that these perceptions might be a significant driving force behind some of the prevailing views of continued mistreatment and/or black inequality. If indeed this is even partly so...that is seemingly a much more difficult challenge to overcome than even policy.

I'm quite skeptical that a rational discussion can be had on this topic...without the infection of insults, pseudo-intellectual dolts, and those with intransigent positions...or hell, even interest...but nothing ventured, nothing gained. One thing seems inarguable...this country needs more, not less, discussion about race.

Reactions: baumer_1114
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News