ADVERTISEMENT

A request on content sharing

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
First, let me say that I know no one is doing this as a slight to PowerMizzou and I know most of you are doing it because you consider it a favor to other Mizzou fans and you all just like to talk about all things Mizzou. I also appreciate that we are basically the only place you can do that so everyone comes here to discuss everything related to Mizzou.

That said, it has reached a point where I feel like I need to ask you to cut down on the direct links to other sites and copying and pasting information from other sites here. If it's on Twitter or Instagram, some free social media site, it's fair game. But at this point, it seems like almost every thread eventually has links and information from sites we consider either direct or tangential competition. First off, it''s a disservice to those people who are trying to make money. Second, it's a bit of disservice to us here at PM. A lot of the stuff that's posted from other places has already been covered here. Not everything certainly. I'm nowhere near arrogant enough to believe that we have a monopoly on Mizzou information and we cover every single bit of information. Not at all. But to see many threads--even ones that start with information from a staff member--turn into "Here's what every other place on the Internet is saying about it" is really a disservice to both sides.

I understand that there are going to be some things posted from competing networks. It's long past the point of being able to completely shut that down. And, again, I know nobody is doing this with ill intent at all. But to steal a phrase from a friend in the business, this information isn't "community beer." If you want to talk about 247's information and coverage, do it on 247. You want to talk about On3's information and coverage, do it on On3. You want to talk about our coverage or Rivals coverage, please do it here.

Again, it's going to happen some. I'm not asking for a complete halt of it because that's unrealistic. I'm just asking that it be reduced. And, again, tweets are freely available to anyone. Those are going to get posted. If there's breaking news from a competitor that we don't have, we understand it will be posted here. We will work as hard as we can to confirm it as quickly as possible, but we know we don't break every story. If we see a consistent pattern of posting information from, or links to, competitors, I'll just reach out to you via DM and ask if you can be aware of how often you're doing it. No threats or anything. Just asking you guys to respect what we're doing here and to understand this is a Rivals site. I'm not going to be a dictator on this and be unreasonable about it, but we are going to monitor it more closely than we have been.

Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News