ADVERTISEMENT

An honest assessment of Cook and the offense after rewatch

MatyMaukApologist

Letterman
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2023
Couldn’t watch the game yesterday, so watched a replay today specifically looking at Cook and the offense after seeing so much negativity yesterday. With that said, here are some MatyMaukApologist opinions (some of which have been said and some I don’t think have).

On Cook:

-Cook made very few legitimately bad throws all night. I counted three, one early in the first half where he airmailed a wide open Wease and two where he didn’t catch the DE dropping back into coverage and the throws were batted down (one should’ve been picked).

-Many of his incompletions downfield were not perfect throws, but catchable balls thrown into tight windows. LB3 got turned around on one over his head that should’ve been caught. Many others were pretty good placement considering the coverage and he put it only where his receivers could get it.

-He was generally very good when plays broke down. Hit his check downs a handful of times, escaped the pocket and avoided sacks throughout the night, and when nobody was open he would intentionally throw the ball at a receivers feet or slightly OB to avoid an INT or intentional grounding call. Very good job avoiding sacks, penalties or turnovers - definitely an underrated trait.

On general gameplay:

-Run design needs to be entirely re-tooled. Noel is quick and good at hitting holes which covers up a lot of missed opportunities. Run plays are often telegraphed with no misdirection. The entire line will push one way, and the ball always ends up going that way. Further, there are almost never any option plays where Cook has the option to keep, which is a huge mistake considering his mobility (either that or he just never thinks to keep it). I counted one time where he kept the ball on an option play and he slipped trying to get around the tackles but otherwise would’ve had some yards. The defense is able to sell out on handoffs and linebackers cheat up every time. This burned the offense on a couple third and shorts, and I think contributes to the inability to finish drives in the red zone with touchdowns. This will only get worse deeper in SEC play.

-Further, designed QB runs are uninspiring. I counted two or three QB draws with an empty backfield - why not keep an RB on Cook’s side to create a potential threat of Cook pitching or at least add a blocker? Every time there was a QB draw Vandy’s defense sold out on Cook and ate it up.

-Going back to third and short, does Moore even have a playbook for going under center? Handoffs from the shotgun are easy for the defense to track and, going back to the lack of creativity in play design, make it very easy for the defense to sell out on the run. Also, every time Carroll comes into the game in these situations it’s obvious it’s going to be a handoff inside,

-Offense did a good job limiting penalties. There was an illegal formation called on a very late snap in the first drive, but otherwise was pretty disciplined.

-Special teams had a few unforced errors. Craig’s kicking woes are already well documented but a couple other silly mistakes cost Mizzou field position. Speedy completely mishandled a kickoff so that drive started on Mizzou’s two yard line. LB3 had one or two good punt returns get called back as well - albeit one of them was a questionable block in the back called on Roberts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.