ADVERTISEMENT

Another angle on the Ole Miss debacle/journalistic integrity time

tigersouth

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Simons Island, Georgia
Apparently the fanbase has gone nuclear and are blaming their Rivals reporter for asking the questions at the presser that Sexton set up. The UGA board has been all over this mess, and their Rivals guy has given them this statement from the Ole Miss "Gabe". I assume it is all right to copy it here, as he gave it to them. Don't see why we all can't share in all this drama! Ms tigersouth

New Neal addressed his site, many of whose members are ripping him for asking questions.

"I'll write a story on Laquon Treadwell and Robert Nkemdiche here in a bit. I'm back in my room after covering their press conferences.

However, the following needs to be said, and then you all can react how you choose.

My plan for tonight was to write a series of stories on the guys being drafted, a column about what a great night it was for the program and a column praising Hugh Freeze for sticking with Nkemdiche through the process, as Freeze's testimony, for lack of a better word, for Nkemdiche helped keep him in the first round of the draft.

That's why I wrote the puff piece on Tunsil and his mom yesterday and built most of my notebook on Treadwell yesterday.

Then the Twitter thing happened. I knew it was bad the moment I saw it. I know some NFL people. I began to get messages from them telling me teams were backing off Laremy because they were worried about what else might be there. He went to Miami. Immediately, the Instagram thing happened, and I thought, "Holy shit. This is nuclear."

I went to his press conference. I asked if the messages on the Instagram were authentic. Honestly, I expected him to say they weren't. He gave very ambiguous answers. I sought clarification and he essentially said they were real. Another reporter then asked Laremy if he took money from coaches. He said something along the lines of "I'd have to say yeah."

At that moment, I thought a bomb had dropped. Still, I wanted to get clarification. I asked if he'd talked to the NCAA, assuming he'd say yes. I was going to then ask if he'd talked to the NCAA about the texts in question and go from there. However, Sexton's assistant ended the press conference abruptly and Laremy was clearly shaken.

For those who say I'm out to get Ole Miss, I'll submit the following:

Who else talked to Laremy's mom? Who has been more critical of Lindsay Miller than I? Who else covered the court proceedings in July (answer: John Davis of The Oxford Citizen)? Who else criticized the C-L for its coverage? Why would I go after a colleague (Forde) in the open fashion that I did?

Tonight, Tunsil's answers required clarification. His answer about getting money from coaches, whether he was confused by the questions or not, changed the story line of the entire draft. My question about the NCAA did not.

Feel free to disagree. I understand your frustration, but it's my opinion that I did my job.

Thank you for your time and consideration."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.