ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL BARRY ODOM MEDIA DAY

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Starts in 15 minutes. Will update here. Thus far, no game notes or depth chart.

Odom at the podium now. "From December 4 when I got the job until today it feels like it's gone pretty quickly."

"Great deal of respect for West Virginia...we've got a tremendous challenge ahead of us and our guys are excited to see where we stack up."

Last weekend was a simulated weekend from pre-game meal to meetings, etc.

On QB: "Probably the most important position in sports..." Said Lock commanded the offense, didn't make mistakes, "his experience, the learning experience for him in a lot of those situations has helped him to this point. He's grown up a lot. His leadership skills are one of the best in the team."

Also mentions Zanders "has grown so much as a player and a quarterback."

"The development that Drew has had, he improved over spring practice and then you look at what he's done from the first day of fall camp to today, he's a different player."

On whether Zanders will play: "Everybody that is in position to help us win a football game is going to see the field....Marvin has proved himself that he's going to help us win football games."

Says Witter had a great spring and picked up there in the fall. "He's transformed his body. He's got more power."

Eight true freshmen on depth chart. Says it will be "fairly safe" that those guys will play either on O/D or ST.

Says they are travelling five tailbacks Saturday and expects to play four.

Says Johnathon Johnson's "maturity is at a different level." "I trust him and he knows our offense."

Says both Johnson and Chris Black will see the field as PR.

"Thought it was really important for our program to clear the board on the depth chart...Our kids have really embraced that. I think it's an ongoing process for us as a staff and a program. I don't care if a kid's a walk on or scholarship or a fifth year senior or a freshman...we're gonna play a whole bunch of people. You have an opportunity to go compete and put yourself in position and go play. It's not, you get to go wear a costume on Saturday...Every day there's an evaluation process. There's probably a couple of these that will change by Saturday."

Says Jordan Harold since January "there wasn't anybody out there outworking him."

Confirms Tyler Hanneke was put on scholarship yesterday. Says he moved over to offense and is playing both ways in certain situations and is a starter on special teams.

Kickoffs/FGs "there's still come competition going." If they started today, McCann would be the kickoff guy and field goals would be decided during pre-game warmups.

On Emanuel Hall: "Smart kid, even though he was out a couple practices, he was able to mentally get a lot of reps. He's picked up the offensive structure and the scheme...He didn't miss a beat when he got back in."

Asked if Odom would like this type of game when he has more control over it. "If I was setting the schedule it would be a little bit different. But I'm excited about the opportunity."

"You always make changes throughout a game. You don't wait until halftime to make changes."

Asked about his game day demeanor: Said he met with GP earlier today at Odom's request. "I've got to be me...I may throw a few fist pumps up there, but it will probably be a lot like it was as a player."

Said he's feeling "anxious and excited for our kids. I just want to do right for them. I owe them."

Says Hatley and Beckner have "had an unbelievable camp."

DeMarkus Acy is listed at corner. Started camp as a safety. Learned both spots and that versatility has contributed to him getting on the field.

"The expectation and vision is to win a championship. I don't know when it's going to be."

I asked if he will take a moment Saturday at some point to take it all in. He said he hopes to be able to block it all out. "I've got one shot at this...I owe (a lot of people) to do it right."

Odom says he will be "fairly quiet" as a head coach and let his coordinators do their jobs.

On Sam Bailey: "He's practiced really well and man he's athletic...We're putting a lot on that position."

On being an underdog: "I'll be honest. I really like it. I like the opportunity to go prove people wrong...I'll use any motivation I can use."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.