FOOTBALL BARRY ODOM MEDIA DAY

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
starts in 15-20. I'll update this post with interesting/relevant info

Starts by reinforcing how proud he is of the effort Saturday, "but we're not really into participation awards. We want to win."

Says he knows they'll be better next week, a lot of positives to build on from Saturday. Appreciative of the fans that were there. "From the start of the game to the end of it, they did an unbelievable job supporting their team and that means a lot to me."

"It is a big deal about having your home field advantage and I'll use every aspect and every avenue I can."

On any carryover from Saturday to Sunday, there was frustration, anger, sadness, "all the things that go along with pouring your soul into something and coming out on the wrong end of things. That hurts and that's okay."

"There's a winner and loser in everything that we do...That's the approach we're going to take."

Says he's not worried about the carryover.

Asked him if it was different for him to get past losses now as the head coach. He said it's different than in the past because of the platform he has now. Said if we interviewed him last year after losses or 2009 when he was safeties coach or at Rock Bridge, we'd ahve seen the same thing. "I hate losing more than I like winning and that's the way I was brought up."

"I celebrate wins like nobody's business and I live in misery with losses. That's the way that I have to function. That's me."

Was surprised Ross didn't play. Terez Hall should practice, Logan Cheadle full speed by Wednesday, Sam Bailey ready to go. Christian Holmes good to go, went through concussion protocol. Expects Keyon Dilosa to be back this week.

On the end of the game: On third down, Odom wanted to take a shot on the Lock interception. "I'd do it again." Says he has 1 million percent confidence in coordinators.

Lock is "playing pretty well right now. He's got to do it every drive."

On the drive where they ran 14 times in a row, said he was fine with the ball being snapped when it was early in play clock. "we're a little bit better right now in the season going at that pace."

On the DL: Had seen progress over the first three weeks, "thought we took maybe a bigger step last week defensively during practice."

"Any time you put a lot of work into something and then you get a return out of it, you start to feel a little bit better about it and then you gain confidence and that's a good thing to have."

On Thomas Wilson: Grown up, matured, "one of our best leaders, one of our best players right now."

Said Cam Hilton played really well. "His athletic ability is different than some in a good way." Says sometimes he's so quick he gets out of position sometimes, he almost needs to slow down a little bit.

On McCann: "I'm glad I took a lot of courses on the psychology of sport." Said he's gone from coaching him really hard to leaving him alone.

On the 12 men on the field penalty, Odom said "That's absolutely on me." Said there had been a couple injuries and he didn't communicate clearly who should be in, who shouldn't. "Not a fun one to sit back and evaluate, I know that."

“I’ve got two sons and if they grow up and they’re like Michael Scherer, I know I did something right as a dad." Calls him a great ambassador for the school and the state.

Said UGA OL Sam Pittman coach told him "I wish you'd hurry up and graduate (Scherer)"

On J'Mon: Attitude, practice habits, maturity, etc all improved. "Embraces the opportunity."

Odom says he and J'Mon Moore "have had some pity party sessions over the last two days. We'll get over it."

Odom said he was proud of Moore and Penton for speaking to the media Saturday night. "Some guys would have gone the other way."

I asked about third down defense: "Glad you brought that up. We weren't very good." Said he really liked the third down package, UGA made some plays, Mizzou didn't.

Said they were close on some third downs. "Close doesn't count."

In the offseason looked at the athletes they had on offense "I thought we had a shot to be able to do some of the things we're doing, but I needed to see it with the lights on...I hope we continue to progress because I think there's still a lot out there for us that that side can do."

"I knew we had athletes. You've got to find ways to get them the ball." Says Heupel and the offensive staff have done a very nice job with them, still room for improvement.

On the INTs: Lock said he knew immediately he made bad reads on two of them.

On kickoffs: "I know we're a lot better cover team when we get touchbacks." Said at one time McCann asked him if he wanted him to kick it out of the end zone, Odom laughed and said "Yeah, let's try that."

Odom says every day Kendall Blanton runs on the practice field, high fives him and says "It's a great day to be a Tiger."

Says there's a lot more coming offensively. Haven't used everything yet.

Told the team "let's take the name off the opponent's jersey. Let's take all that stuff away. Let's focus on us practicing and preparing the right way. Let's get as good as we can get."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News