FOOTBALL BARRY ODOM MEDIA DAY

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
starts in 20 minutes

Met with the team last night, everything they can do the next three weeks to send the seniors out on a high note, "that's my sole focus." From an injury standpoint, "whoever's ready to go, we'll get 11 guys ready to play." Said he expects Donavin Newsom to come back this week.

Newsom fighting through injury, wants to help the team. Talking about Donavin's similarities to Aaron O'Neal and Donavin being a very personal situation for him. Says he can relate to being injured and not having your senior season go the way you want it to.

"They've done a lot for me, that class specifically, since December 4th."

On what's left to play for: "Any time that you've invested a lot of time and effort and all the different things that go into it, you want to be successful. You want to have success. Success is measured in a lot of different ways in college sports. I'm judged on wins and losses and that's it. I understand that. We haven't been successful." Says there are a lot of positives in the program, but that has to turn into wins.

Talked a lot about the offense and whether it's true that Lock is coached to read only half the field. I'll have video of that in a while. Upshot is, sometimes that's true, sometimes it's not. On the pick on Saturday, his read took him to the wrong side of the field and "that's one you'd like to have back."

Says Fatony isn't a placekicker. "I wish he could"

Odom said McCann was told he wasn't going to start, but had served enough to have a shot in the second half.

Says he still believes McCann will have a great career, but "we need it to happen now" Says kicking struggles have impacted playcalling/offensive approach.

Says this week was better than last week on defense, next week will be better than this week.

Says you can draw up anything you want and it can look great and fancy, but if the players can't do it, then you're not doing a good job coaching.

Odom says he anticipates having the talk with Charles Harris about whether to go pro or not. "I know what I want him to do. I want him to be successful and do what's right for him."

On Tyler Howell: Done a really nice job, transformed his body, played pretty well every game. "He's got a chance of being a special player. Physically he's got a lot of tools that not many have."

Says the next two years "are as great a group of high school players as there's ever been" in the state of Missouri. Emphasizes need to recruit Texas and Chicago.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News