ADVERTISEMENT

Brady won the title last year, who will win the "Mr/Ms Show Me State" title this year? Who earns our respect this year?

Who will redeem themselves this 24-25 Season and win the title of Mr / Ms SHOW ME STATE?

• Dennis Gates - my o my...... yeah he has step up big time!!! Lost most of his credibility.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Eli Drinkwitz- still has to catch up to all the talk while being a below .500 coach.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Johnny Walker - Next up for DLineZou, can he stay out of his own way?

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Write in candidate ( any Mizzou coach/athelete)

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Mizzou All Day

Redshirting
Aug 8, 2023
Alas, a topic for most astute skeptics. Missourians and skepticism kinda go hand in hand, thus the "Show-Me State" moniker for this wonderful state. Phrases like, "Time will tell" or " I gotta see it to believe it" , all carry the same sentiment Talk all your talk, but at the end of the day, let's see the results. To be "Mr or Ms. Show Me State", in terms of Mizzou sports, you have to be high profile player or coach who were below average the previous season and has to prove themselves the upcoming season. Who's on the hot seat, who do we expect to take the next step or who needs to replaced on the depth chart yet overwhelmingly redeems themselves at the end of their season? Who wins the hearts and minds of fanbase after exceeding expectations. This may be the wrong phrase but , who goes from "zero to hero" in one calender year?

I thought of this topic after reminding myself how far Brady Cook has grown as a QB after last preseason's vitriol . This guy deservingly had skeptics after his 22' season. His critics were loud and wanted to be heard. He had a lot to prove and he did just that. He went from getting boo' d to earning the respect of almost every Mizzou fan by season's end. Total redemption story! Forged by self- determination while being fueled by in-state skepticism and critics. This honor is reserved for Mr. Show Me State.

Last year's candidates on my list would have been:

1. Coach Drinkwitz - Hot seat warming, needed wins to catch up to his talk and recruiting .
2. Brady Cook- see above. experienced below .500 local 3 star QB vs nationally touted 4 star QB recruit.
3. Luther Burden - talented but struggled as a freshman at times. Unknown position change was looming. Show me 5 star results.

Brady had the most to prove and proved the most. Drink had plenty to prove, but was never publicly ostracized like Cook was. So I gave Cook the edge and title after last year..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.