ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL RECRUITING CATCHING UP AFTER THE BIG WEEKEND

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Figured I'd just kind of outline where things stand so people who didn't break the F5 key this weekend could catch up.

*Blake Harris committed yesterday.

Here is the scouting report from Corey Evans, Rivals.com national analyst:

Blake Harris is one of the top passers in all of the 2017 class. He has become a much better shooter recently but where he is at his best is attacking the basket and creating for others, an asset that should make life much easier for someone like Michael Porter Jr. Harris is also a deceptive athlete that brings good size to the lead guard spot which makes him a multiple position and quality defender on the perimeter. All in all, he should be a fine four-year contributor and someone that can help Missouri on both sides of the ball.

This means Missouri has two open scholarships as things stand right now. We wouldn't rule out a transfer or two still from the current roster, but it's not a necessity.

*All along Cuonzo Martin has said he's recruiting as if he has six scholarships. He's used three with Harris, CJ Roberts and Michael Porter Jr. We have said all along, the perfect world scenario (and at this point, Missouri fans are almost EXPECTING the perfect world because that's what it's been for the last five weeks) he adds Jeremiah Tilmon, Kevin Knox and Mark Smith to what he's currently got (which, again, would require one transfer). Let's go through those guys one by one:

*We expect Smith to commit to Michigan State. If he doesn't, I still believe Illinois is in good shape with Missouri having a shot.

*Frank Cusumano reported last night that Tilmon would be released from his LOI by Illinois today.

When that happens, we, along with everyone else, are expecting that Tilmon will be a Tiger in relatively short order. I don't have a timetable on it. If he wants to go through taking a visit and such, it won't happen until at least next weekend. But bottom line, it's almost certainly going to happen. We've had people telling us that Tilmon has been in regular contact with Michael Porter Jr. over the last few days expressing excitement about playing together in Columbia. It could happen in a matter of hours. It could take a few days. Whatever the timetable, it will be a surprise if Tilmon isn't a Tiger. A big surprise. And then we wait to see about the qualification status, because, yes, there are some questions on that front.

We'll keep you updated on this front.

*Lastly--and the one everybody wants to know about--Kevin Knox. We're not going to make a prediction on this. Missouri has a shot for sure. Alex Schiffer knows some people in the ACC who, over the last 48 hours or so, have shifted their tune and for the first time really believe Missouri poses a legitimate threat here. I've got people around Mizzou telling me the same thing. I've had a number of people tell me the visit was great, the Knox family was impressed and Missouri feels very good about its chances.

That said, it's still Kentucky, Duke and Carolina recruiting the kid and it would hardly be a shock if he chose one of those three over Missouri. Knox plays in the Jordan Brand Classic on Friday in Brooklyn (so does Porter). He has said all along he will make a decision in the days after that game. I'm guessing we get a decision out of Knox next week some time.

*At that point, we'll know a little bit more about where the class will go. If you don't get Knox or Smith, you need to go find another piece, whether it's a transfer, grad transfer or a high school or juco kid we aren't thinking about. If you get Knox (assuming Tilmon is on board) the class might be complete at that point in time.

*General housekeeping notes:

*The biggest quote from the weekend was what Blake Harris said to Schiffer:

The Raleigh, North Carolina native admitted he hasn't visited a lot of schools so he doesn't have a great idea on how common that is but Porter and Knox reassured him.

"I talked to Michael and Kevin about it and they said nobody else has ever treated them like that," he said.

Mizzou--in particular the students--put its best foot forward this weekend. Whether it works completely or not remains to be seen, but it was an impressive effort on Missouri's end.

*A dead period started at midnight. That means no face-to-face, contact, on or off campus, until 12:01 a.m. Friday. Calls, messages, commitments, etc can still happen. Visits--unofficial, official or otherwise--cannot.

*The late signing period opens on Wednesday and runs through May 15th. This applies to players signing either Letters of Intent OR Financial Aid Agreements. So Porter, Harris and Tilmon (assuming his release is granted by then) would be able to sign with Missouri as soon as Wednesday morning. Players cannot sign a second LOI. So those three will be signing financial aid papers. Those are binding for the school, but not for the player until he shows up in a class on campus. There's no reason to think any of the three would look around, but technically, signing a Financial Aid Agreement is no more binding than making a verbal commitment.

Things seem to happen every day, so we'll make sure to keep you guys up on the latest as we hear it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News