ADVERTISEMENT

CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM FAUROT FIELD

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Column is on the front. @JHamilton23 is working on a full notebook and will have a grade card in the morning. I'll do ten thoughts and snap counts tomorrow. Some quick thoughts:

*Tonight wasn't good enough. Play like this 11 more times, you're going to end up 3-9ish. Fortunately, that doesn't matter. They played well enough to beat who they played tonight. But it's by far the worst team they'll see.

*What you wanted and what I wanted was proof that this team was better than last year. We didn't get it. That doesn't mean it isn't better than last year. It just means that we're going to have to wait longer to find out.

*Brady Cook is the QB. You can get pissed off about that if you want. you can think it's wrong. You can decide it means the season is over and Missouri can only win X number of games. Or you can get on board and say he's the best we got, let's ride and see where it takes us. You do whichever one you want to. But one of them is going to lead you to a lot of anger over the next three months. The second at least offers the chance you might enjoy the season.

*Luther Burden made NFL wide receiver plays tonight. Not gadget guy plays. Not toss him the ball and see if he can make tacklers look stupid plays. Legit go up and get the ball in traffic and take a hit catches. Best he's played and it's not close.

*Mekhi Miller is a starter on this team. There's not a doubt in my mind. It should happen next week.

*Snap counts should make me mad in this game because so many guys played. That's what should happen after FCS games. It didn't. Missouri didn't put this one away enough to play everyone on the roster. To not see the entire backup OL and the two young running backs, all the young wide receivers is a failure.

*Harrison Mevis is officially a concern. Every kick you have to watch because you don't have confidence anymore.

*I'd have Jordon Harris and Brett Norfleet as the top two tight ends all year and live with whatever growing pains that means.

*Dominant performance by the defense for the most part despite playing without a starting LB and starting safety. No complaints on that side of the ball other than a letdown once the game was decided.

*Marvin Burks is going to be a dude.

*Is Kristian Williams the best player on Missouri's defense?

*I'm going to say this about 10 more times this year: What happened tonight doesn't tell us what will happen the rest of the season. This could be the worst game Mizzou plays or it could be the best game. It probably won't be either. Projecting the rest of the season is an exercise in futility.

*Shoutout to @MizzouRah21 and Yuengling for an awesome tailgate and for sponsoring all our game day coverage.

*Shoutout to Dennis Gates for staying at the tailgate for an hour and I think talking to every single person there and taking a ton of pictures.

*1 down, hopefully 12 more to go. You're not going to get better coverage anywhere. Win, lose or draw, we appreciate you guys being here and sharing your thoughts. Tell a friend they're missing out if they don't join the fray.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News