PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Instant Reaction

Live Show

Postgame video

[USER=57342]@JHamilton23[/USER] is working on a complete notebook. We'll have grades and snap counts some time tomorrow (hopefully in the morning)

QUICK THOUGHTS

Preseason week one is over. The good news for Mizzou is it counts as a regular season game. This game was over quickly. Probably at 7-0, almost certainly at 14-0 and definitely after Toriano Pride's pick six that made it 21-0. There was no world in which Murray State could compete.

I'm not going to overstate what it means but I'm not going to ignore it. We've seen teams like this come into Faurot and fare much better. First shutout in five years. Complete domination in the first six minutes before a lull and a parade of reserves. A lot to like, but just enough for Eli Drinkwitz to point out on film to keep his team grounded.

OFFENSE

I understand there's some concern. Brady Cook missed some throws. He wasn't perfect. If I'm grading it, it's a B game. He was accurate on the short stuff, didn't put the ball in harm's way, made a couple plays with his legs when he had to. We've seen him better. I promised I wouldn't overreact after what I did following the MTSU game last year and I won't. Missouri won 51-0. There are some things to correct, but overall, solid performance.

The running game gave you a lot to like. Marcus Carroll and Nate Noel both looked good. Both are quick, both have some moves. I didn't have any concerns about the running game coming in and I don't have any coming out.

Breakout players: Josh Manning and Kewan Lacy. LOTS to like from both

DEFENSE

Dominant. I don't know how to put into context how impressive it is to allow 85 total yards and 1.6 per play. Murray State's longest play of the night was nine yards. That's exceptional and I don't care if you're playing the Boonville JV. Zion Young and Chris McClellan made plays up front. Corey Flagg is a lot better player than I think he got credit for in portal season. Khalil Jacobs can fly and Marvin Burks is going to injure someone this season. Oh, yeah, Toriano Pride had a pick six. And Corey Batoon put it all together with a million new faces and very little blitzing or exotic looks (which you shouldn't need to use against this team).

Missouri played TEN freshmen and Phillip Roche on Murray State's last drive and didn't give anything up. The Racers ran one play in Mizzou territory all night long.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Blake Craig made all nine kicks. None were especially long, but I don't care. First game action, overwhelmingly positive and something to build on.

As far as our coverage, it's week one back for us as well. We're working out some kinks. Think we'll have a good system with Jarod doing live in game stuff and me offering immediate reaction before we hit postgame. Think the postgame show will be excellent with integrating the voicemails. Had 300 people online live tonight near midnight and that's going to increase as the games get better and don't end at 11 pm. Appreciate all of you being a part of it. Have Shyam Punnachalil as a new producer on the live shows, Connor McLain back shooting videos for us, Kylie Daniel taking photos and Nathan McClellan doing graphics. Gonna be a hell of a season. Let's go for the ride together.

Tons more to come in the next two days, we'll do another live show Monday night and flip the page to Mizzou vs Buffalo Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.