ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM MIZZOU ARENA

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
It's not too often you walk away from a basketball game saying "Damn, how about that defense?" You did tonight.

For all the talk about how the offense might look different and this team might be able to score more, the early season strength is clearly the defense. Martin thinks this team has the pieces to be elite on that side of the floor. So far, they have been. Guys are buying in. They're learning what it takes to play for Cuonzo Martin. And what it takes is to bust your ass on defense and take points when they come your way.

Now, to be fair, holding a team scoreless for almost 15 minutes takes some help from them too. The Terriers missed some open looks. They turned it over some. But Missouri deserves the credit. They were great.

Offensively, they have to run through Jeremiah Tilmon. Everything else comes off that. He is becoming a better passer out of the post and he's got some moves. AND NOW HE EVEN MAKES THREES.

I think I've said it after every game, but I'm going to say it again: Xavier Pinson is the most improved player on the team. After a start like this last year, he'd have sat the last 30 minutes on the bench next to Martin. Not tonight, he rebounded and was a big key to the win.

Mark Smith can still shoot.

I think we forget how hard it is to be a big contributor as a freshman. Especially when your coach demands as much on defense as Martin does. Tray Jackson, Mario McKinney and Kobe Brown will have moments. They're not there yet.

Story and photos on the front. And One follow will post in the morning. Enjoy the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News