ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL *****CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM MIZZOU ARENA****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Everybody knew this was possible. Looking at the pregame predictions, most expected it. But that's the PROBLEM. You're not surprised when Missouri gets blown out...when it doesn't look like it belongs on the same floor or is at times even playing the same sport as a team like Arizona. And this is a good Arizona team, but not a great one. Sure they shot 8053% from three point range, but maybe that had something to do with who they were playing. Why don't we see Missouri do that sometimes?

The point is, Missouri would have had to play really, really well to win this game. Fine. It would have been an upset. Fine. But when's the last time that actually happened? The last time Missouri went out and beat a good (or even decent) team that you didn't think they'd beat in the pregame.

There have been two big problems with Missouri basketball the last three years:

1. They lose some games against teams they shouldn't.
2. They never win any games against teams they shouldn't.

We can break down a million different reasons why. But there's really only one. This team isn't very good. Is it better than the last two? Maybe. That's a pretty low bar. Is it better enough? I've got a really hard time seeing how it is.

They're 5-4. They have at least 22 games left. To get over .500 (again that's the MINIMUM bar where we're having a discussion of whether Kim Anderson is back) they have to go 11-11 the rest of the way. That either means beating Illinois and going 8-11 in SEC games (including the tournament) or losing to Illinois and going 9-10. Do you see any way this team wins at least eight games against SEC teams? Because I don't. Sorry, those are facts. And that's the MINIMUM level at which I'm willing to listen to the conversation this regime gets another year.

This was a chance at something. People showed up. IDK whether 7500 or 10000 is closer to what was here, but there were actually people here. They TRIED to be loud. They DESPERATELY wanted something to be excited about. And Mizzou served them up another dud. Can't imagine most of them are coming back anytime soon. Can't say I blame them for that.

They'll keep playing. We'll keep being here. Today, it seems like a long, sad, painful death march to an inevitable ending. Maybe something crazy will happen and Jordan Barnett will be Michael Jordan or they'll all suddenly learn how to shoot and I'll be wrong. I'd really like to be. But I just don't think I will be.

Schiffer and I will track down all the visitors tomorrow hopefully. Until then, as you were.

Oh, and this:

584c70688ffa0-zooperstars%20800a.jpg

584c70713abc3-zooperstars%20800b.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News