NEW STORY CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM MY LIVING ROOM

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Drove home before posting.

*It's a good thing to be able to win with your C game. That has something to do with Missouri's talent level and expectation, but more to do with the competition. It's nice to be able to win with your C game but you better not count on it continuing. If all you play is your C game, eventually you accept that it's your A game.

*For all the blame on Brady Cook (and it's deserved) and Toriano Pride (it was deserved on that play) and Blake Craig (deserved) and the OL (deserved) the biggest fault today lies with the head coach. He was dreadful. There is no explanation for what he did at the end of the first half. There is no logical explanation for what he did at the end of regulation. That game should not have gone to overtime. It did because Eli Drinkwitz gave Vanderbilt three points. Just handed them to them. Take those away, that game's over in regulation. It's ugly and nobody's proud of it, but you win in regulation and don't need Vandy to gag a 31 yard field goal to do it. Absolutely dreadful today on the sideline (I can quibble with some playcalling too, but I don't feel like that's totally fair without watching the game and getting a better idea).

Drink's done a very good job here. He has some clock management and game day snafus, but everybody does. Today was the worst game I think he's coached in four and a half years. His team still won. And to his credit, he owned every bit of it postgame. Every question was "We, starting with me, have to be better." Two people started to ask a question at the same time and he said "Hang on, this guy was asking about the end of the first half" and he said this

He's right. Admitting it out loud doesn't make it go away or improve the grade (I know what Jarod is giving the coaching and its the absolute ceiling for what I'd give it). But it does show the awareness that he had a bad day. We all have bad days. Nobody should get fired over one. If it's the exception, it will be forgotten relatively soon. I give Drink a lot of credit for owning it. It's a sign of maturation as a coach. But, oof, it was bad.

All of our stuff from today is on the front page. Grade card, snap counts and updated rankings in the morning. We'll have some stuff this week, but it will be a little lighter due to the fact it's an off week and we likely won't have any regular media opportunities. But we'll still be around. The next week is the first truly big game of the year and we'll be covering it with an absolute vengeance. Good time for a slow week for the players, the coaches, the fans and ourselves.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.