ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM THE ST LOUIS AIRPORT DOUBLETREE

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
*Sometimes you just win and move on. There are a handful of games on the schedule when the main objective is to just end up with one more point than your opponent. Obviously that's the goal in every game, but you get my point. Missouri has played three games so far in which it simply had to keep the train on the tracks enough to win. The Tigers have done that in all three. They have one more game like that left and it's next week.

*Missouri made a bunch of mistakes and had a bunch of guys out with injuries...and it still never felt to me like Memphis was ever a serious threat to win the game. Last year everybody here talked about a 6-7 team that was almost 8-4. Maybe at the end of this year we're talking about an 8 or 9 win team that was almost two or three games worse. As I said all year last year, good teams win those games and bad teams talk about how close they were. Missouri was a bad team last year in that regard. 3-0 in one score games this year means they've got a shot to be a good one. The difference in a season is a half dozen plays. Missouri's made enough of them so far.

*Kudos to Cody Schrader and Nathaniel Peat. At halftime I said Missouri should just throw the ball every play. After halftime the Tigers ran wild and wore Memphis down.

*Brady Cook's last two games: 41/60, 697 yards passing, 19 yards rushing, 5 total touchdowns, 0 turnovers. He's closer to an all-SEC quarterback than he is below average.

*Luther Burden: My word. I said during the game he's a video game after the catch. Just ridiculous.

*You want explosive offense? Missouri had four plays of at least 34 yards. It had nine plays of 20 or more. For the game, Mizzou racked up 542 yards of total offense on 61 plays. 431 of those yards came on 17 offensive snaps, each of which gained at least ten yards. The other 44 plays gained just 111 yards. Explosive plays win games.

*I understand some concern about the defense. Some of those third and fourth and longs can't happen. Missouri better figure out how to tackle or it will cost them a game or three. That said, Missouri finally has a whole team rather than a half team. Cody Schrader: "Let’s not get it twisted though, our defense is legit. I think offensively I think finally after last week we believe what we’ve got on offense."

*The onside kick didn't end up counting, but I applaud calling it and man it was executed perfectly. Drinkwitz said they knew it would be there and believed in Harrison Mevis to execute. He did. One of his teammates didn't.

*Other guys that should get some credit tonight: Jordon Harris, Marquis Johnson, Marcus Clarke, Dreyden Norwood, Realus George.

*Post-game show and my column are on the front. We've got video and a full notebook from @JHamilton23 on the way. Snap counts, grades and ten thoughts in the morning. Then I won't talk to you wonderful folks for 13 days. I'll return and Mizzou will either be 5-0 and everyone will be happy or 4-1 and at least I will have missed the meltdown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News