ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL *****CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM WILLIAMS-BRICE STADIUM*****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Coming into this week, there were a lot of us that thought Missouri might be the second best team in the SEC East. I wasn't sold on it, but I thought it was possible. Fifth sure looks possible now.

I said coming in if you won this game you should win eight, could win nine and maybe even dream about ten. But if you lost it, you'd have a lot of work to do to win eight, brought seven into the picture and I'd entertain 6-6.

I'm entertaining 6-6 guys. This offense is more consistent than it was but not consistent enough. This defense is capable of making a handful of plays but when you REALLY need one it can't. They can't pressure the quarterback, they can't cover anybody. If the other team would just line up and throw every down it might score on every single possession.

You guys know me, I'm not going to come on here and rant and rave and fire a guy. But I will say this: If we're at the point after the season where Barry Odom might get fired (and I think it's possible) then today's the day we should have started recognizing the possibility.

Miscommunication on an onside kick? Mind numbing penalties? Just not covering a guy with 42 seconds left in the game? Rushing three and still not being able to cover anybody to prevent an easy pitch and catch to turn a missable field goal into a chip shot? Doing these things over and over week after week?

This is not a disciplined football team. It just isn't. Argue the other side of that if you want to, but you won't convince me I'm wrong. There is some talent on this team. Not a ridiculous amount where we should be talking about winning the SEC but they've got some talent. They've got more than South Carolina had. They should have won this game. Period. This is as bad a loss as I can remember in a while, not only because you should have won, but because you had it won a couple different times and you gave it away.

This is one that lingers. It won't matter next week because that's a loss anyway. But sitting 3-3, there's not gonna be much excitement from the fans coming back for Homecoming. At this point, they can make a bowl game and get to seven wins if they can beat Arkansas, Tennessee, Memphis and Vandy. And I think they can probably do that. To me, that really doesn't prove anything. At the end of the year, if your best win is Purdue, I'm just not sold that's progress.

We'll see where it all goes. No choice but to wait. But today was as discouraging a game as I've seen in a while. If you're just not good enough, fine. Missouri just wasn't good enough two years ago. This year, they're good enough. And they aren't getting it done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News