ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY CLOSING THOUGHTS: MIZZOU 85, VANDERBILT 82

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
*Missouri had two games remaining on its schedule that it could absolutely under no circumstances afford to lose. Today was one of them. They didn't lose it. That's what counts. It's literally ALL that counts.

*Dre Gholston, aka PowerMizzou's punching bag for the season, would like a word. Missouri doesn't win this game without his contributions. On both ends. 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks and a steal. No turnovers. Only three players had a positive +/-. Gholston was one of them with +9.

*Sean East had seven assists and made the game-winning free throws. Noah Carter had 13 points in the second half. D'Moi Hodge, with the flu, had 14 in the first half. Kobe Brown picked up two quick fouls and went 5/14 from the floor and still led the way with 18 points and 8 rebounds. Nick Honor hasn't turned the ball over in 100 minutes. I don't know that this team has a singular star. But it has enough guys that are pretty good that somebody seems to step up when they're needed. If there's a guy you're wanting to bury on the bench after today (I'm guessing it's Tre Gomillion, it's a pretty good bet he's going to play a big role in a win some time down the road...maybe as soon as Wednesday).

*Yes, rebounding is a problem. Yes, it will lose them some games. Yes, it may very well be the reason the season ends at some point. But as Dennis Gates pointed out after the game, we all know that. He said Missouri has to make sure that's it's only negative category. You can get beat on the boards, but you can't compound it by getting beat at the foul line and in turnovers and in assists. You'd like to maybe not get beat 86-47 on the boards over the course of two games, but this is not a perfect team and that is its biggest imperfection.

*There were some empty seats here. I don't think there were more than a couple thousand. For Vandy. At 11 a.m. With class not in session. Kudos to the fans. Mizzou Arena is fun again. It's so much better this way.

*The goal I set at the beginning of the week was 1-1. The goal I set at the beginning of next week is 1-1. The goal I set at the beginning of the week after that is 1-1. If you can get through the Alabama game two weeks from today with a 3-3 record over your previous six, this team has a chance to do everything you guys want it to do. The goal for week one has been accomplished. On to the next.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 1.08.44 PM.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News