ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Coaches in Year 3

Many mistakes come about because of devotion to vapid cliches like they are foundation principles.

Sure, you're not going to make progress firing a coach every 3 years. So is the question being asked of why do you keep hiring bad coaches?

I have no problem with regression. Success is rarely a straight line (I know, a vapid cliche). It's a starting point to a discussion of why there was regression. And whether there are actual signs of progress. I have no problem firing incompetence in any year, of any tenure, short or long. All this "hope" of competence is silly.
Straight lines and circles? Vapid?

The defense is getting better. They did a really good job on the defensive side in the portal.
This is our best defense in a while.
We weren’t as fortunate on the offensive side. Wish we would have found a really solid tight end, a veteran wide receiver like Purdue found, and a great center replacement. Even with a misfiring QB we could manage a decent offense with some better options.

I’m already over 2022 guys. I know that obviously sounds premature but what the hell do we have to look forward to this season other than observing some young guys? There’s really not much meaningful left this year (beyond blind hope)…. 4-5 wins and the bottom of the conference absolutely sucks….plain and simple.

Drink absolutely 100% gets next year….you can’t drop him this season. 2023 is make or break it and he’s going to need 8 wins to show progress…The goals for me starting now should be:

1) keep the young talent as happy as possible and prevent any impactful transfers
2) Groom your QB for next year (also plays into #1)
3) Succeed in the transfer portal….don’t finish with the 2nd or 3rd worse recruiting class in the conference (where we are currently)
4) Keep the staff (that you want…) together. Especially on defense.

If Badie plays Drink wins the Bowl game and hes 7-6. 5-5 in 2020 was more like 7-5 or 8-4 in a normal year. It was tougher than any schedule Pinkel or Odom ever faced. This year still isnt determined but its a down year bc your best QB is hopefully a Freshman and Odom left no young depth on the olines.

If you just change all the losses to wins he's undefeated

If Badie plays Drink wins the Bowl game and hes 7-6. 5-5 in 2020 was more like 7-5 or 8-4 in a normal year. It was tougher than any schedule Pinkel or Odom ever faced. This year still isnt determined but its a down year bc your best QB is hopefully a Freshman and Odom left no young depth on the olines.
But who’s bright idea was it to not let Badie play?

Guys Drink has no idea how to be a head coach and a OC

Best thing for us will be to move on since he won't give it up

I said after the K St game if he didn't go young with Horn and have an excuse for looking like crap everybody will transfer out and he will get fired

It's over Drink is done

Im not changing losses to wins im saying going .500 in conference generally means a 7-5 or 8-4 record, the two sec games added were Bama and Miss St who we lost to.
You’re never going to get Gabe to admit that a 10 game all SEC schedule in year one was harder than a normal schedule

This board is going to be miserable for the next month. No reason for horn to be exposed with our O Line against Georgia and Florida

Reactions: JAGsports
So he went from 7-5/8-4 in year one to 6-7 (what actually happened) in year two to likely 3-9 or 4-8 this year. His offense has gotten worse in each of the three years, and his defense went from respectable in year one to atrocious in year two to pretty good this season.

Overall, his teams have regressed as more of Odom's guys have left the program. I don't think he should be fired after this year, but the warning signs are blinking red unless this thing gets turned around in a hell of a hurry.

Because he has no Juniors or Seniors leading this team.

The guys drink recruited are barely sophomores

I think I’ve heard literally every excuse possible for this guy…lol holy hell….
Then again, he's not wrong. What is really killing us is the #54 ranked 2020 class, IMO. Those guys are Juniors and RS Sophomores and should be part of the foundation of this team. We have a few contributors, mostly on defense, but that's it.

On Offense, we have Cook on 1st Team and then Walters. I think that's it for the two deep. On Defense, we have some good DB's in Abrams-Draine, Carlies and Rakestraw. There are a few more guys running 3rd Team. That's it that I can think of.

But that's about 5 guys total out of 44 on the 2 Deep from our entire Junior Class. It hurts us most on the OL and DL. Right now we have Walters and who else? 1 player out of 18 on the 2-Deep? I must be missing someone, so help me out. Even so, that's still really bad. Most teams are going to have more Year 3 players than that starting and on their 2 Deep.

That class is going to continue hurting us for one more year because next year it will become the weakest class of Seniors we've had in quite a few years. Upperclassmen provide the backbone for most good teams and that's where we're lacking. You can try to bandaid it with portal transfers, and have to do that. But that doesn't take the place of guys who have been with the program for 3-4 years.

Guys Drink has no idea how to be a head coach and a OC

Best thing for us will be to move on since he won't give it up

I said after the K St game if he didn't go young with Horn and have an excuse for looking like crap everybody will transfer out and he will get fired

It's over Drink is done
LMAO. So throw Horn in behind that atrocious OL? Good talk and good thing you’re not the the coach on Saturdays. Why in the world would you throw Horn out there if he’s not ready. We also are red shirting a decent to solid OL class right not building depth. As much as I don’t like this season play out I called this season last year. This was set up to be a regression year from the jump and anyone that doesn’t see it wasn’t being realistic with themselves.

Reactions: TigerCruise
You’re never going to get Gabe to admit that a 10 game all SEC schedule in year one was harder than a normal schedule
Because it wasn't. It was a covid filled year where teams (including Mizzou) were missing half their roster some weeks. 2020 should be thrown out and never referenced by anyone in any program. CB threw 7 TD and 6 INT and was named an all american.

It was harder. It just doesn't have any impact on the team being 2-2 and having lost its only two games against Power Five competition two full years later.

The other thing is that one of those replacement games was a win--and probably the most notable win he's had in three years. They were 4-4 in the regularly scheduled SEC games. So you get to get rid of the Bama loss, but you also have to get rid of the LSU win. So I'm going to say it's probably a 7-5 season and the wins are against an FBS school, directional non-starter and a G5 school. If he goes 7-5 that season (leaving the bowl game out of it because there's no way to forecast who they'd played or how they'd have done), his current record is 15-14. That's not really any different than 13-14 to me.

LMAO. So throw Horn in behind that atrocious OL? Good talk and good thing you’re not the the coach on Saturdays. Why in the world would you throw Horn out there if he’s not ready. We also are red shirting a decent to solid OL class right not building depth. As much as I don’t like this season play out I called this season last year. This was set up to be a regression year from the jump and anyone that doesn’t see it wasn’t being realistic with themselves.

If Horn's not ready to perform at a level higher than what Cook brings than you dont play him. But that begs the question will he be ready be ready next season? Knowing what we currently have on the roster and Horn not being ready, I don't think you can assume he will just be magically good to go next season. I think we need to find a starting QB via the portal and if Horn can beat him out so be it. Drink cannot afford to be wrong next season.

Reactions: sharpwp and gfuray
Then again, he's not wrong. What is really killing us is the #54 ranked 2020 class, IMO. Those guys are Juniors and RS Sophomores and should be part of the foundation of this team. We have a few contributors, mostly on defense, but that's it.

On Offense, we have Cook on 1st Team and then Walters. I think that's it for the two deep. On Defense, we have some good DB's in Abrams-Draine, Carlies and Rakestraw. There are a few more guys running 3rd Team. That's it that I can think of.

But that's about 5 guys total out of 44 on the 2 Deep from our entire Junior Class. It hurts us most on the OL and DL. Right now we have Walters and who else? 1 player out of 18 on the 2-Deep? I must be missing someone, so help me out. Even so, that's still really bad. Most teams are going to have more Year 3 players than that starting and on their 2 Deep.

That class is going to continue hurting us for one more year because next year it will become the weakest class of Seniors we've had in quite a few years. Upperclassmen provide the backbone for most good teams and that's where we're lacking. You can try to bandaid it with portal transfers, and have to do that. But that doesn't take the place of guys who have been with the program for 3-4 years.

Rakestraw and Abrams Draine commited after Barry was gone along with the Mississippi DT who never played, kinda like Wilson, Garrett, Simms and Crockett for Barry in 2016. So only Cook and maybe Walters would be Barrys guys. Spencer, Buford, Brooks, Maclin and Hester already washed out.

Because it wasn't. It was a covid filled year where teams (including Mizzou) were missing half their roster some weeks. 2020 should be thrown out and never referenced by anyone in any program. CB threw 7 TD and 6 INT and was named an all american.
So this is essentially year 2 then?

Reactions: Christianmizzouguy
Its a logical point. If nothing else 2020 shows Drink can coach a group of guys no matter what is available(which means the year might not be over). He dominated UK that year, his losses were to Georgia, Alabama, FLA, Miss State, and Tennessee(all but Miss state still had their coaches and he had no Secondary depth against Leach). He moved a QB to WR, QB to S, a WR to CB, a OL to Linebacker and used a Walkon on the two deep all year. He had possibly the worst CB group Ive ever seen and played freshman everywhere and won with them.

Its a logical point. If nothing else 2020 shows Drink can coach a group of guys no matter what is available(which means the year might not be over). He dominated UK that year, his losses were to Georgia, Alabama, FLA, Miss State, and Tennessee(all but Miss state still had their coaches and he had no Secondary depth against Leach). He moved a QB to WR, QB to S, a WR to CB, a OL to Linebacker and used a Walkon on the two deep all year. He had possibly the worst CB group Ive ever seen and played freshman everywhere and won with them.
I mean, that's great and all, and I won't argue the points here, but if that shows that "Drink can coach a group of guys no matter what is available," why has he not won more games in subsequent seasons? Why has the team regressed as he's gotten (presumably) better players on the roster?

I mean, that's great and all, and I won't argue the points here, but if that shows that "Drink can coach a group of guys no matter what is available," why has he not won more games in subsequent seasons? Why has the team regressed as he's gotten (presumably) better players on the roster?
Because he can’t….plain and simple.

It’s why you hear people on here screaming that “he needs his players” even though he has a lot of them this season and welllll….🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: sharpwp
If you want to act like the season didnt actually happen and he didnt have a recruiting class and he wasnt coaching players thats fine. Im just saying that repeating over and over again that he did it against an "all SEC schedule" is kind of pointless. What happened on the field doesnt really matter. What he did off the field is what mattered and the team came out the next year and was worse. If you want to use the logic of he did well against an all SEC schedule then there is no other conclusion that you can come to other than he regressed last year while having an easier schedule.

If you want to say its year 2 on the field thats fine but it is not that way off the field.

Reactions: jha618 and dreamlaw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT