ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY *****COACHING RUMOR MILL, NOVEMBER 23RD*****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Kind of a wild day, especially if you're following what went on in Baton Rouge. But there's no real point to follow that. I'm telling you guys, Missouri isn't gonna pursue Les Miles. I understand that will upset some people, but I'm just telling you what I have gathered. So you can continue to speculate about what will happen to Miles (and there could be a trickle down impact on Mizzou if he is let go) but for the time being, what goes on in Baton Rouge isn't really a big concern of mine.

I've circled back with my guys at Georgia. Mark Richt isn't going to get fired. So unless he walks away, he's not on the market. And if he does walk away, I can't see him doing it for the Missouri job honestly. So what happens in Athens isn't really a big concern of mine either.

More confirmation from various sources today that Justin Fuente will be coaching somewhere next season and it won't be Memphis and it won't be Missouri.

Plenty of chatter surrounding Tom Herman today. Here's what covering a coaching search is like: I was told today that Herman would take the Missouri job. I was also told there is no way he'd take the Missouri job. So we know that much. He either would or he wouldn't. In all seriousness, I still think this search really starts with Tom Herman. Mack Rhoades is going to find out if he can get him and what it will take. I've got to imagine Rhoades has a good idea on those questions. I do not at this point. Herman either has or will have a three million dollar a year offer on the table from Houston. So he could stay and be pretty happy. I think the biggest impact on Herman and Mizzou might be what he thinks is going to happen in Austin. It's been widely speculated that's the job he really wants. It is my feeling that Charlie Strong probably isn't going to walk from Texas and nobody really wants to spend the money it would take to buy him out. But the feeling is he's got one year to turn it around. I think there's a decent chance Herman's play is to stick around in Houston one more year, make good money and see if Strong is out after next season and he can get the UT job. But at this point, I'm comfortable saying Missouri hasn't moved on from Herman and he's still a guy they'll talk to and interview if he's interested in doing so.

I'm hearing Matt Rhule's name more and more. The downside is there are no connections to Mizzou and he's only really had one good year. But if Rhoades thinks he's the next good, young coach, then I think he's got a very good shot.

One thing to watch with both of those coaches (Herman and Rhule) is the timing. I don't think Missouri wants to wait a long time. I think Rhoades would like a coach in place next week some time. If Houston beats Navy and if Temple beats UCONN or USF loses to UCF, the AAC title game is going to be Houston vs Temple. I really can't imagine either of those coaches is going to take a day during prep for a conference title game that could lead to a Group of Six bowl bid to interview for another job. So if the Tigers want Herman or Rhule, they might have to extend their search another week.

But here's something I've been thinking when it comes to Herman: Do you really need an extensive interview? I mean, you just did one with him last year at this time. So really, there's only one question you need to ask if Herman's your guy: Do you want the job? That doesn't need to be done in person. I mean, you probably want to meet with him, but if Herman's your guy, I've got to think you should have a pretty good idea by now (or certainly before waiting to interview him in person two weeks from now). It wouldn't be announced before then, but I've got to think maybe the deal could be more or less in place before then. That doesn't apply with Rhule, though, because Rhoades isn't as familiar with him.

Other names I've heard a little more the last few days: Troy Calhoun at Air Force and Sonny Dykes at Cal as well as Larry Fedora at North Carolina. I've heard Dykes' name pop up a few places so I think maybe he's looking to get out of Cal. Is it a fit here? He was at Texas Tech and Louisiana Tech so he's recruited areas Mizzou would like to recruit, but beyond that, I don't know really. Calhoun doesn't really have anything in his background that suggests he'd be a fit here, but I have heard his name a few times of late. Honestly not sure what to make of the Fedora talk, but I'll see what I can find out in the next couple of days. I've always wondered about coaches who are at schools where no matter how much they win, they'll always be No. 2 on their own campus. Got to think football coaches don't like that situation a whole lot.

I'm confident Barry Odom will get an interview. I'll be honest, I go back and forth between thinking he's a very legitimate candidate to get this job and thinking he's only a legitimate candidate if three or four other guys turn it down (which is possible). I think Rhoades will interview a minority coach as well. The favorite for that would be Bowling Green's Dino Babers, but I don't really get the impression he's going to be a serious contender for the job honestly.

I don't think there will be anything of real substance in this search this week (unless I get a hold of some tail numbers and manage to track Mack Rhoades on a flight somewhere). There will be a lot of rumors flying, but nothing we can really say we feel good, bad or indifferent about. But I expect shortly after the Arkansas game--maybe even that next day--there will start to be some action. The only question will be whether it will be so clandestine that nobody can follow it. Which is possible. But we'll do our best. More news when we get it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News