ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball vs. football athletes

muvigs

Retired Number
Nov 26, 2007
KCMO
This is something I've never understood. I get why the NFL has a 3-year period in place before high schoolers can enter the draft. I agree with the rule and think college football is all the better for it. What I don't get is the narrative talking heads always turn to when it comes to one-and-dones. Why do they demand basketball athletes have the chance to make money right out of high school? Why are they so quick to say "it's their right to make capital" when they don't say anything remotely the same about football athletes? Further, why do they continually call the NBA greedy for doing this rule and not the NFL? Is it because we've all just accepted a high schooler's body can't take the punishment of the NFL? Or what is at play here?

I'm always frustrated by this double standard. I think it's lazy and convenient. Further, I think the college game would be loads better if there was a 3-year, or even a 2-year restriction in place. Just seems like everyone continually argues to abolish a rule that is trying to help college basketball by citing the rights of basketball players, yet completely ignoring the same rights that should be granted to football players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.