ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC Dodger Stadium

firsttiger

Retired Number
Gold Member
Nov 14, 2001
Kansas City, MO
At my age and experience, my sports bucket list isn’t very long (Mizzou bball and football championships are and will always be at the top), but one still on the list has been a game at Dodger Stadium.
Yesterday I flew into LA and went to last night’s Royals game there with one of my sons, who lives in Hollywood.
So. My thoughts on Dodger Stadium:
The setting is topnotch to the south less than a mile away is the Los Angeles downtown skyline. To the north lie the San Gabriel Mountains beyond the center field fence. Palm trees are all around the perimeter. Parking is plentiful.
Dodger Stadium. Built in 1962 is the third oldest stadium in MLB, behind only 1910s cathedrals, Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. Yet, it is very modern; in fact it was the first of the modern venues. The last park built in MLB before Dodger Stadium was Kansas City’s Municipal Stadium, expanded from a minor league park in 1955z I adored Municipal Stadium, but it was the last of the oldtime parks with poles to sit behind, no suites, meager concessions, and few, if any modern conveniences.
Dodger Stadium was the model for Anaheim Stadium, which came along 4 years later, and then Royals Stadium in 1973.And it has really been maintained marvelously.
However, there are some other observations:
The aisles are very narrow and the concourses are not at spacious, horizontally or vertically.
The scoreboards/video boards are quite small (they may have been upgraded, but they are the original dimensions.
To maximize capacity, the stands along the foul lines go all the way up as high as behind home plate all the way to the foul poles (by contrast at the K, the upper decks taper as they approach the foul poles).
On balance, it’s a beautiful, well-maintained stadium with a lot of history.
But given the Crown Vision, the fountains, the wider aisles and concourses, I favor the K (but not by much).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News