ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Drink and the QB position

17-21 for 172 yards with most of the throws being horizontal, 0-5 yard passes against a 3-8 FCS team. The majority of the yards gained were due to YAC and the receiver or RB making plays. Hardly impressive as it sounds at first blush.
YAC is modern college offense. Sanders has the entire CFB world raving about him and he’s averaging almost 2 yards less per completion than Cook

OK. Let's root and go for the YAC approach. Should work out great against teams who can actually field a quality defense and have coaches who can game plan against our LOS or 2 yard passes.

Gabe, I'm not sure if you've ever played D-1 sports, but if you have you would recognize that this behavior is inappropriate. As a coach, dealing with teenagers or very young adults, you have to at least appear fair, objective and unemotional. Hopefully, you have enough integrity to actually be so. Any appearance that you are favoring one over the other has huge implications and can negatively effect a player. These aren't hardened NFL players.
Oh no the coach who sees QBs play every snap at practice has an opinion about who the best QB is for the program? BIAS

Albert Einstein Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Drink's post-game speeches gushing about how great Brady was personally, and the coments concerning Sam, shows bias. If you all don't think that ego, personality, lack of maturity and pride can't get in the way of making the right decision(s), I don't know what to tell you. It happens everyday and will to the vast majority of people.

Reactions: Mizzou Mule
Drink's post-game speeches gushing about how great Brady was personally, and the coments concerning Sam, shows bias. If you all don't think that ego, personality, lack of maturity and pride can't get in the way of making the right decision(s), I don't know what to tell you. It happens everyday and will to the vast majority of people.
You want ego, go look at jimbo. Drink took the offenses failures on the chin and hired an oc. He can be cocky, but it's ridiculous to think that the guy is just some egomaniac. Unfounded opinion. What's with your slobbering over horn, tho?

The offense looked exactly the same as it did last year. If it hadn't been announced that a new O.C. was hired, most people wouldn't have guessed it.

People forget how many six yard passes Maclin and Danario turned into 60 yard gains
In fairness the qb also hit them in their hands, lead them, had touch. And created massive yac. Last year Cook struggled with short throws with location. If he can hit guys all day in stride, this offense will be boring but fine. Speaking of chase. Remember the TE position. They were downfield threats back in the day.

Reactions: gfuray and Brianrox
I'd love to know why Drinkwitz has taken the QB position the way he has from spring practice up until the first game. I'm going to assume it really was an open competition for some time (as he knows Horn has more upside than Cook)... and that at some point Cook took a clear lead over Horn and Garcia.

As Gabe just said, Drinkwitz has approached the last two off=seasons looking for a transfer who could upgrade the QB position. He has obviously missed on just about all of them. I'd love to know his message to those transfers... what he told them as fas as how they'd have to compete with Cook and beat him out or if he was promising some of them a starting job.

I'm assuming the staff sees the difference in arm talent from Cook to Horn (and Garcia). So if Cook has clearly beaten them out at this point (which seems to be the case)... why give Horn a half in game 1 and maybe some more time in game 2?

He knows what he has in Cook... great teammate, great leader, very good runner, tough, committed, knows the offense... a whole bunch of reasons why he's a solid option as a starting QB. To this point, he hasn't been a great passer (though he may still have some growth with a healthy shoulder and a full year of experience).

So if Horn isn't a better option right now... why take your starter out for a full half? I'm guessing there are 2 reasons.

One, while not likely, he is hoping Horn just plays so well in games (better than he has in practice) that he forces his way into the lineup.

Two, he knows this is his best chance to get Horn some live action (while also keeping his family happy during the off-season), with the idea that at some point this season (after getting some live reps and a lot more practice reps), that he can be an option he can turn to if needed (injury or performance).

It seems like a big gamble.. as he has to get this QB decision right and all he has done all off-season and through his comments at the end of Thursday's game is draw more attention to the situation.

Reactions: SECNorth and gfuray
This is the same offense as last year, who could out talent the bad teams and put up numbers, but struggled against good ones (besides breakaway QB runs). People are frustrated because despite trying to shake up everything (bringing in new faces, OC, etc.) this is the same offense and it looked average against South Dakota. In week 1, we see what this offense is going to be able to do with absolute WEAPONS out wide, and it doesn’t give us any optimism.

This is the same offense as last year, who could out talent the bad teams and put up numbers, but struggled against good ones (besides breakaway QB runs). People are frustrated because despite trying to shake up everything (bringing in new faces, OC, etc.) this is the same offense and it looked average against South Dakota. In week 1, we see what this offense is going to be able to do with absolute WEAPONS out wide, and it doesn’t give us any optimism.
Is it the same offense because we have captain checkdown at quarterback. That’s the tough part. If you have a weak arm and don’t have confidence in throwing downfield, this is what every offense will look like with a conservative QB.

Reactions: Brianrox
There aren't any unfair expectations. Horn is not being given a fair shot. The post- game comments were inexplicable and inappropriate for a fair-minded coach. The only advantage Brady has is experience and the coach refuses to give the same opportunity to Horn to see who's really better. If Brady is better fine, but don't hamstring Horn, in order to "prove" it.
I don’t believe I just read this and this is your perspective…hmmm ….

Reactions: ChicagoTiger98
So a repeat of last year, scoring 10-20 points a game and praying the defense holds it together?
The Cuonzo Martin of football.

Don’t worry, the same posters defending Drink like their name is Brady Cook will outright deny it when the next coach comes along

Or say “why are you so stuck on FHCED, he’s no longer here” something along those lines with some ghey acronym.

All without wiping their chin before they start blowing the new guy

He’s no better than a pop Warner coach who put his son at QB to hand the ball off every play.

He was cleared for some to most of spring. I can't remember the exact timeline because I didn't cover any of spring ball because it was so early, but he was throwing for most of it.

This is laughingly inaccurate. Eli Drinkwitz has done everything possible under the sun to NOT start Brady Cook. He went so far as to start Tyler Macon instead of Cook at Georgia when Tyler Macon was the 4th string QB and had no chance to ever be the starter here. He then shopped the job to every transfer who had two arms and had thrown a football for 12 years. I've said many times if Brady was my son, he'd have been in the portal before LAST season because it was patently obvious to me that the head coach absolutely didn't want him to be the starting QB. Then, after Cook had a season in which he was not great, but not awful and improved throughout the year, the coach brought in a transfer and opened up the QB job publicly three ways despite the fact he had a returning starter. And through ALL of that all Cook did was work his ass off, be an incredible teammate, a two time captain and constantly talk about how it was his dream to be the QB at Mizzou. And then go out and beat out the guys his coach had brought in to unseat him.

You think Drink is biased in favor of Brady over the other guys? Then you haven't paid a single bit of attention to anything that has happened whatsoever in the last two years. Brady Cook is the starting quarterback in spite of absolutely everything being stacked against him, not the other way around.

I agree that if Drink made a mistake it was not saying Brady was going to start game 1 and the plan was to get Sam the second half. I'd assume his reasons for doing that were to give Sam a look in a game and see if he suddenly flipped a switch that he hadn't in practice. We can disagree how big a "mistake" the public handling of it was. I don't think it is that big a deal, but understand some do.

The incumbent went 17-21 for 172 yards, led a two minute drive and had the team up 28-3 at halftime. So I guess that means people can talk.
Doesn't this(his snubbing of Cook and search for another QB) make his put down of Horn, hubris/pounding his chest and overt praise of Cook after the last game even more bizarre?

Calling it a competition, not even making Cook the outright starter for that game till shortly before then playing them the way he did and coming out like I told you so while STILL NOT naming him the starter is the weirdest way I've ever seen a "QB Battle" play out.

It was weird with Robinson and Baze, it was weird with Baze and Cook and now it's weird with Cook and Horn. The weirdest thing is Horn is his recruit and Cook is not.

I'm not saying he's not playing the best guy but the way he manages QBs is the strangest I've ever seen.

Doesn't this(his snubbing of Cook and search for another QB) make his put down of Horn, hubris/pounding his chest and overt praise of Cook after the last game even more bizarre?

Calling it a competition, not even making Cook the outright starter for that game till shortly before then playing them the way he did and coming out like I told you so while STILL NOT naming him the starter is the weirdest way I've ever seen a "QB Battle" play out.

It was weird with Robinson and Baze, it was weird with Baze and Cook and now it's weird with Cook and Horn. The weirdest thing is Horn is his recruit and Cook is not.

I'm not saying he's not playing the best guy but the way he manages QBs is the strangest I've ever seen.

And I'm not saying he's handled quarterback well or developed them well enough. Not at all. I'm just talking about this specific situation.

Reactions: gfuray
I'm going to type this in all caps because it's beyond my comprehension that people don't understand it and it's starting to make me very frustrated:

SAM HORN AND JAKE GARCIA BOTH HAVE GOTTEN EVERY SHOT TO WIN THE STARTING QB JOB. THEY EACH HAD SIX MONTHS, MUCH OF WHICH BRADY COOK WASN'T EVEN HEALTHY FOR. THEY DID NOT WIN THE JOB IN THAT TIME. THUS, BRADY GOT THE VAST MAJORITY OF TIME IN THE FIRST GAME.

This isn't hard to figure out. Cook has been the best guy. According to multiple people close to the program, the competition wasn't particularly close coming out of camp. Drink still wants to get Horn some game time experience because he's your backup and you may need him this year and he's only a redshirt freshman and still has a lot of time to become a good quarterback for you if he sticks around.

There was a competition. It's over. Cook is going to be the starter. I think there's a pretty good chance Drink says that out loud this week. But if not, he probably has his reasons and who cares because we all know the situation anyway.
Some posters seem to not realize that coaches see these guys practice a LOT, AND they actually have scrimmage periods during some practices where each QB gets reps.
These practice periods may not often be full contact, but a lot of it is "full speed" without taking people to the ground.
The coaches have seen Horn and Garcia in "live bullet" situations more than some posters seem to realize, and they have not outperformed Cook. It seems so obvious. Yet ...

Sidenote: This post is from someone who has serious doubts about Drink's ability to win more than 7 or 8 games regardless of great recruiting. I'm not a Drink apologist. But some posts seem to think that he is risking his 6M per year on playing favorites w/o much to go on.

Some posters seem to not realize that coaches see these guys practice a LOT, AND they actually have scrimmage periods during some practices where each QB gets reps.
These practice periods may not often be full contact, but a lot of it is "full speed" without taking people to the ground.
The coaches have seen Horn and Garcia in "live bullet" situations more than some posters seem to realize, and they have not outperformed Cook. It seems so obvious. Yet ...
Shawn Robinson agrees

The problem for many fans I think is the thought of having to start over again with a new coach. There seems to be no upside to his offense even though we have talent. If we would have came out and threw long against South Dakota it would have gave me some hope we mean business. We played them as if they were a worthy opponent.

I'm going to type this in all caps because it's beyond my comprehension that people don't understand it and it's starting to make me very frustrated:

SAM HORN AND JAKE GARCIA BOTH HAVE GOTTEN EVERY SHOT TO WIN THE STARTING QB JOB. THEY EACH HAD SIX MONTHS, MUCH OF WHICH BRADY COOK WASN'T EVEN HEALTHY FOR. THEY DID NOT WIN THE JOB IN THAT TIME. THUS, BRADY GOT THE VAST MAJORITY OF TIME IN THE FIRST GAME.

This isn't hard to figure out. Cook has been the best guy. According to multiple people close to the program, the competition wasn't particularly close coming out of camp. Drink still wants to get Horn some game time experience because he's your backup and you may need him this year and he's only a redshirt freshman and still has a lot of time to become a good quarterback for you if he sticks around.

There was a competition. It's over. Cook is going to be the starter. I think there's a pretty good chance Drink says that out loud this week. But if not, he probably has his reasons and who cares because we all know the situation anyway.

Personally, and especially after Thursday, I have doubts that either QB has the talent to get us more than 6 wins. I thought Cook was ok not great. I was hoping to see a huge leap from Cook or Horn especially against an FCS opponent. But alas Cook was average and Horn was not quite average.

My only concern about your comments is how is practice organized? Do all three QB'S get reps with the first team offense? Didn't you say that the PM staff were only able to see 45 minutes of practice? Or since Drink feels Cook is the best he gets all the first team reps and the second and third string QB's get to work with the two's and three's. This is an honest question that I've never seen asked.

To refute your point what if practice isn't on an even playing field and Horn and Garcia never, or rarely get first teams reps? If that's the case then not sure how it can be determined that both Horn and Garcia got a fair shake and Cook had the upper hand because he got all if not most of the teams reps.

Again I am basing my comments of not knowing how practice is structured and openly admitting so.

The problem for many fans I think is the thought of having to start over again with a new coach. There seems to be no upside to his offense even though we have talent. If we would have came out and threw long against South Dakota it would have gave me some hope we mean business. We played them as if they were a worthy opponent.
I think you're right for a lot posting here. But, Drink is probably going to win 7-ish games this year IMO. That 7-ish win total might be the max for Drink ball. I find that a depressing proposition. It's not just the offensive scheme although that's most obvious. Mistakes, undisciplined penalties, poor performance in the red zone, shaky special teams, these have been pretty consistent trademarks of Drink ball. Add all that to uncreative, un-explosive offense and 7 wins is about all you can hope for.
EDIT ... Having said that, maybe K. Moore has a lot more wrinkles that he had no reason to foreshadow in a 28-3 half against USD. It's one game with KM as the OC and the 1st half wasn't bad at all.

I have no idea if Mizzou will beat Kentucky. We are talking about college kids so who the hell knows. But Kentucky will be favored and barring injury, they should be. Significantly better coach, more accomplished QB (and better if healthy), and playing at home. I’m shocked anyone can look at the drink era and confidently predict a win in Lexington.

And I’m saying Drink doesn’t have the best track record picking a QB coming out of Spring/Fall camp
Ok. I'm fine with people doubting Drink. I don't think he's a good coach. But I do think that Gabe is honestly reporting that more than one person who I assume are close to the program and possibly have eyewitness evidence from observing practices are telling Gabe that the competition between Cook, Horn and Garcia is not particularly close at this point. This I take to mean that it's not just Drink who is of the opinion that Cook is the better choice at this moment.
I'm not sure what evidence the "Horn is better than Cook" believers are basing that opinion on at this point. My .guess is that Horn has a stronger arm and possibly a more accurate arm than Cook under ideal circumstances. But there is a lot more to playing QB and giving your team the best chance to win than having a stronger arm. Argue that he should have been developed better or faster and that makes some sense to me. But, telling me Horn is better now and the coaches and people reporting to Gabe are all wrong based on your hunch or dislike for Cook doesn't hold much weight to me.

I think you're right for a lot posting here. But, Drink is probably going to win 7-ish games this year IMO. That 7-ish win total might be the max for Drink ball. I find that a depressing proposition. It's not just the offensive scheme although that's most obvious. Mistakes, undisciplined penalties, poor performance in the red zone, shaky special teams, these have been pretty consistent trademarks of Drink ball. Add all that to uncreative, un-explosive offense and 7 wins is about all you can hope for.
EDIT ... Having said that, maybe K. Moore has a lot more wrinkles that he had no reason to foreshadow in a 28-3 half against USD. It's one game with KM as the OC and the 1st half wasn't bad at all.
I’m old enough to remember people saying the MAC crew would never win and then that GP would never be better than 8-5. Then 2007 happened. Not predicting that for drink just saying putting a ceiling on him at this point is premature

Ok. I'm fine with people doubting Drink. I don't think he's a good coach. But I do think that Gabe is honestly reporting that more than one person who I assume are close to the program and possibly have eyewitness evidence from observing practices are telling Gabe that the competition between Cook, Horn and Garcia is not particularly close at this point. This I take to mean that it's not just Drink who is of the opinion that Cook is the better choice at this moment.
I'm not sure what evidence the "Horn is better than Cook" believers are basing that opinion on at this point. My .guess is that Horn has a stronger arm and possibly a more accurate arm than Cook under ideal circumstances. But there is a lot more to playing QB and giving your team the best chance to win than having a stronger arm. Argue that he should have been developed better or faster and that makes some sense to me. But, telling me Horn is better now and the coaches and people reporting to Gabe are all wrong based on your hunch or dislike for Cook doesn't hold much weight to me.
I’ve had conversations with people who indicate that players have more confidence in Horn than Cook.

They’re probably lying to me for no reason though

• Haha
Reactions: Forever A Tiger
The reason we aren't winning 10 games a year as of last year is the admin's fault for firing Odom and hiring a 37 year old with one year as a HC who won 12 games with a perfectly matched roster to him and their schedule. Could he have done it the next year? Nobody will ever know.
Last year Drink showed good signs of having figured out the HC job. Give him a chance.
BTW, you didn't talk about Johnson. What's his problem?
Did you forget the blue font? I mean are you really advocating to still have Barry Odom as our coach? That guy was beyond awful. Can you even imagine trying to recruit in the age of NIL?

I’ve had conversations with people who indicate that players have more confidence in Horn than Cook.

They’re probably lying to me for no reason though
Do these 18 to 23 year olds have their livelihoods and reputations riding on this assessment? Again, I'm not saying Drink, Moore and the staff is right. I am saying that Drink and his staff have every incentive to play the players that give them the best chance to win. They could be wrong, but they have the most riding on making the right call.
Also, there probably isn't a unanimous choice amongst the 80 plus players.

I’m old enough to remember people saying the MAC crew would never win and then that GP would never be better than 8-5. Then 2007 happened. Not predicting that for drink just saying putting a ceiling on him at this point is premature
You're right. I said 7-ish wins might be the ceiling for Drink ball. Pepe has taught me to make use of qualifiers though sometimes I forget to do that. I use might in this situation because there could be an outlier here or there. But you are also playing both sides of the fence. with the bolded.
Remember the 3 timeouts on defense at the end of the first half vs Kentucky last year?
That's a tiny example of the kind of stuff that make it hard to beat good teams in close games. It didn't bite them in that case, but if Drink does that in crucial games, eventually ...

Do these 18 to 23 year olds have their livelihoods and reputations riding on this assessment? Again, I'm not saying Drink, Moore and the staff is right. I am saying that Drink and his staff have every incentive to play the players that give them the best chance to win. They could be wrong, but they have the most riding on making the right call.
Also, there probably isn't a unanimous choice amongst the 80 plus players.
I didn’t realize it has to be unanimous. Best to not March out a QB then

I didn’t realize it has to be unanimous. Best to not March out a QB then
From what Gabe is reporting it sounds pretty close to unanimous amongst the adults around the program ... "the competition is not particularly close" ... something close to that is the word that Gabe got from someone who he apparently views as a credible source.

What if what he said about Cook is actually true? What does it tell you that his own teammates voted him captain two years in a row? Chase Daniel spent time with him and said he was the clearly the guy .. said it was impressive. What makes you think it’s just Drink that feels that way?
And why is that a slam at Horn. What did he say to denigrate Horn? I must have missed that. Horn may very well be the next starting QB and may develop into a great team leader himself. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

From what Gabe is reporting it sounds pretty close to unanimous amongst the adults around the program ... "the competition is not particularly close" ... something close to that is the word that Gabe got from someone who he apparently views as a credible source.
The ones that want him to date their daughter?

• Haha
Reactions: b-a-a-a-rclay
What if what he said about Cook is actually true? What does it tell you that his own teammates voted him captain two years in a row? Chase Daniel spent time with him and said he was the clearly the guy .. said it was impressive. What makes you think it’s just Drink that feels that way?
And why is that a slam at Horn. What did he say to denigrate Horn? I must have missed that. Horn may very well be the next starting QB and may develop into a great team leader himself. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
I've expressed my thoughts on this topic ad nauseam today. I'm frankly tired of it. However, you can look back on what I wrote if you'd like. If not, you're sure to think and feel how you want anyway. We'll all find out very soon the repercussions, if any, of what went down and whether the correct player was chosen. It's football, not life or death. No biggie either way.

I've expressed my thoughts on this topic ad nauseam today. I'm frankly tired of it. However, you can look back on what I wrote if you'd like. If not, you're sure to think and feel how you want anyway. We'll all find out very soon the repercussions, if any, of what went down and whether the correct player was chosen. It's football, not life or death. No biggie either way.
Oh I didn’t really care if you answered. They were rhetorical questions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT