ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL FULL DISCLOSURE...personal story...about the Chiefs...and a TL/DNR version...

Graphic Edge Guy

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2001
FULL STORY: HOW I BECAME A CHIEFS FAN!

I watched live for Super Bowl I when the Packers handled the Chefs pretty easily...I watched with more interest when the Chiefs became the second old AFL team to win a Super Bowl when they beat the Vikings in Super Bowl IV.

I watched live on TV on Christmas Day the infamous "Longest game ever" in 1971 when I realized that Chief's kicker Jan Stenerud was human..,but I was quite sure that KC's Ed Podolak had to the best football player in America. https://www.kcur.org/sports/2024-01-13/kansas-city-chiefs-miami-dolphins-nfl-longest-game

I went to a handful of games in the late 80's and early 90's when I lived for a while in western Missouri (Alma home of the Santa Fe Chiefs)...and then in (cough) kansas (I NEVER capitalize the K) while I coached and taught at Ottawa University.

I hadn't actually ATTENDED a Chiefs game in a long time until last Saturday...the older I get...the harder it is to battle traffic, parking, and WEATHER...not to even mention the absorbent cost to do so nowadays.

As sharp as the picture is on your home big screen TV these day...it makes the hassle of going vs. the comfort and ease of watching at home...make the choice that more often leans towards the latter.

I still go to 4-5 Mizzou football games each year...and I did bite the bullet and went to the Cotton Bowl this year as well....and SO glad that I did!

I always liked the Chiefs...growing up in Callaway County when Hank Stram's teams were really good...but equally liked the old St. Louis Football Cardinals. Don Coryell's Cardiac Cardinals were fun to watch during my College days in the mid 70's.

I mentioned that I coached at Ottawa University in the early 90's and LOVED following the Chiefs in those days and they became MY ONLY TEAM because the Cardinals had bolted for Phoenix.

My wife and I spent 2 days at River Falls WI Chefs training camp the year they signed Joe Montana and Marcus Allen and it was HEAVEN.

We went to "Fan Day" the first night... which was kind of disappointing because fans were roped-of and you only got interaction with one or two random players.

As luck would have it...my wife and I ran into Dave Kreig (who was the Chief's back-up QB that year) at a remote little pizza place in town. He was eating by himself and I told my wife I was going to go talk to him about how he broke my heart that one fateful day in Arrowhead (when he was QB for the Sea Hawks).

I have only been to a handful of Chiefs games down through the years but as luck would have it...I was THERE that day when Derrick Thomas set the single game sack record with an amazing SEVEN SACKS that day of Dave Kreig.

What many don't know (or remember) is that DT had Kreig in his grasp for what would have been #8 on the last play of the game to preserve a Chef's win.

Instead...Kreig spun out of the tackle and escaped that elusive eighth sack and delivered about a 30 yard TD strike to WR Paul Skansi with seconds remaining in the game. The Seahawks would win the game 17-16.

Deafeningly loud Arrowhead went eerily silent in that moment that I'll never forget.

I digress...but much to the chagrin of my wife I approached Kreig and he couldn't have nicer or more gracious. He laughed as I told him the story and after expressed a little disappointment about "Fan Day" he suggested I come to practice the next morning (which was NOT open to the public).

Just put a camera around your neck and act like you're a reporter he said...then find me and I'll talk to you like you're supposed to be there and nobody will be the wiser.

Earlier that morning my wife and I went to an I-Hop for breakfast...and an extremely nice older gentleman with glasses was just leaving as my wife and I were going in and he held the door open for us said, "Hello Chief's fans...are you enjoying River Falls?"

I told my wife that I thought I had seen that man's picture somewhere before but couldn't place him. I later realized it was LAMAR HUNT! Back then...he was a pretty much stayed out of the limelight...not at all like today's owners.

My wife gave me a photo album/scrap-book that Christmas which is the best gift she's ever given me. I LOVED the Chiefs from that day forward!

I hadn't been to a game at Arrowhead since December 27, 1992 when Anna got us 2 tickets (as a Christmas present) for the Chief's final home game vs. John Elway's Denver Broncos. MISERABLE freezing rain wet, windy. cold weather.

Our seats were in the nosebleeds...but as fans left the stadium in droves because of the miserable conditions...we moved down to lower endzone seats which were partially covered by a balcony. We were just on the edge of rain protection...our heads and bodies were mainly sheltered...but our legs captured a lot of the rain & cold.

Chief's fell behind early but came back to win 42-20 with 21 4th quarter points!

My only live Chief's game since was Saturday night...and only by a miracle of circumstances.

I was looking forward to watching the Chief's/Dolphins game from the comfort of my home basement and gloating to myself (like most of you) about how much better off I was than those poor suckers who had tickets to the game in the miserable freezing conditions.

I was watching NFL pregame on TV in my office and I looked online to check ticket prices to see how low they were falling...and WOW! Upper bowl seats were in the 3's and 40's...and some in the lower section in the $100-200's.

It was now about 1:00 and the three-hour drive to Arrowhead for the 7:10 kick-off was still possible...should I go? NAH...I thought...too damn cold for that!

THEN...at precisely 1:24 I get a text from my neighbor, Jim: WANT TO GO TO THE CHIEFS GAME? I HAVE AN EXTRA TICKET?

I texted back...WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING?

He says...PRETTY QUICK...SORRY FOR SHORT NOTICE...MY SON JUST BACKED OUT...1ST ROW...50 YD LINE...VISITORS SIDE.

Now my heart rate started to rise...I texted him back...HOW MUCH & WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING?

He texted back...NO COST...BUT I'M PULLING OUT THE DRIVE RIGHT NOW!

My Chiefs fandom, inner-youth, and feelings of adventure and invincibility overcame me at that moment...as I rapidly texted him back...I'M GOING!!!

He texts back...LOL...OK...HOW SOON CAN YOU BE READY?

By 1:40...we were loaded in his car and on the road to Arrowhead!

SO glad I went...great atmosphere...great Chief's win...and an experience that I'll never forget.

Downside is...for attending any future sporting events...I'll never be able to trick myself again into saying that just being in the stadium is enough... SEAT LOCATION DOESN'T MATTER...trust me...it DOES!!!

If you're viewing this on Facebook...you probably have seen the pics and videos of that awesome gameday experience.

If you're viewing this on Power Mizzou...you have probably already checked out or posted some smart ass TL/DNR post of your own. If you're really interested in the rest of the story including pics and videos....DM or reach out on Facebook

For any of you older fans like me...if you ever get the chance to do something like I did last Saturday...I hope you "dance" instead of sitting it out...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News