HOT BOARD FOLLOW UP

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
The hot board is here.

In all honesty, it's been written for three weeks. It's going to change. I'd try to hire Sean Miller. I'm not sure Missouri will and I don't really think Miller would take it. I'm hearing he's not in a hurry to jump back in and that he might wait out NCAA penalties and Jeff Capel's eventual dismissal at Pitt.

Chris Mack interests me. You have to weigh the baggage at Louisville. I've heard mixed reviews on him. I don't know if Missouri will be interested.

I'd check Anthony Grant. I don't know that Missouri will. I've been told Dayton has deep pockets and could keep him if they want.

I'd check Buzz Williams, but I see no way he'd be interested. The last two days probably nixed those chances.

I'd check Steve Forbes, but I assume the extension makes it impossible.

Those are my top four. Tier two for me consists of Todd Golden, Grant McCasland, Mark Pope. They're good mid major coaches, two of them have SEC ties. They'll get big jobs soon.

The wild card is Kim English. I know what you'll say. But he's the ONLY guy who could pick up the phone on the first day on the job and call multiple major donors and say "I need NIL money now." Kim gets how recruiting works these days. I don't think he'll be a serious candidate, at least not unless Missouri misses on multiple other guys, but that's the argument to be made. There would be growing pains. It's not a great look hiring a guy that just finished under .500. I'd take other swings first. But if those swings don't work, why not? I like it better than the guy from Drake or Cleveland State.

Matt McMahon would be decent. Don't love it. Wouldn't be my first choice. Given a choice between him and the guys listed above, I'd take most of the guys above. But if he's the worst case, that's a good list.

Names I've heard that Missouri might have some interest in that I can't really confirm other than they've been mentioned to me by people (who may or may not know what they're talking about): Dana Altman (3.7 million salary, 4 million buyout would seem to preclude it to me), Porter Moser (not sure what his situation at OU is), Todd Golden (on the board, makes perfect sense), Darian DeVries (on the list, don't love it at all), Dennis Gates (on the list, think they could do better but could do worse), Jerome Tang.

Here's the way this is going to go: Every single day I'm going to do a coaching search. I'm going to share basically every single thing I hear. Some will be accurate, some will be ridiculous and I'll do my best to parse it. But this is now the only thing I'm following until Missouri has a new basketball coach. We'll be here every day all day. I've done a few of these. Let's ride.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News