ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sick of this crap

Mizzoufan89

Letterman
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2004
First, I think Urban Meyer is a jerk. Through the grapevine I've heard stories, and I believe he's not a good person.

But I'm tired of this self righteous university culture that takes on a life of it's own.

From what I understand, Urban Meyer lied, saying he wasn't aware one of his assistant coaches was abusing his wife. As such, the world has determined he's guilty of something and needs to be fired. Because Ohio State can't have a coach that supports wife beating.

What joke. This is Ohio State. They are a giant sports machine with the perception of a win-at-any-cost attitude. When they hired Urban Meyer they knew EXACTLY what they were getting. And now they are going to (likely) fire him because they will say he "does not uphold the standards of The Ohio State University." I say BS.

I would respect Ohio St more if they kept him. I'm tired of self righteous platitudes. If they said "mea culpa, I lied, I just didn't want to air my coaching staff's dirty laundry to the world," this whole thing will be an afterthought in 6 months. But no. The media and the university are going to pretend that they don't condone this behavior, that this is not representative of their culture, and we need to part ways. The truth is, they don't condone of this behavior when the story gets out in the media. If they kept him around, at least they would be acting honestly.

When was the last time a head coach was fired BEFORE a story broke? When the university uncovered a scandal that the media wasn't aware of? Never. It's only a problem if they get caught.

Ask yourself this, has anything in this story changed your pre-existing opinion of OSU or Urban Meyer? Of course not. People can act indignant and the media will chew on this like a bulldog latches on to a steak, but don't pretend to be surprised and angry when this stuff happens.

Your telling me this is worse than protecting Aaron Hernandez? Give me a break. This entire scandal is all about perception, not about real change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News