ADVERTISEMENT

Jimbo Fisher on NIL

cln475

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 3, 2005
On ESPN this morning Jimbo Fisher talked about (actually a clip from Finebaum's show) how NIL stuff (money) has always gone on, but was not legal before and now it is. I was surprised how candid he was.

Keyshawn Johnson to a certain degree said this too this morning.

Cheating has always occured. ALWAYS. Now these deals are legal.

There are several threads on the board this morning talking about players "merch". I get the support for the players and showing them love through doing this. I do. But, for high end players that you will need to compete on the larger scale with, this won't do. Buying $80 in merch is going to be insignificant to the deals that will still be going on.

When Will Wade was caught on tape saying, “Dude, I went to him with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong."
“The problem was, I know why he didn’t take it now, it was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn’t explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn’t get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal.”

These are the things that will impact us consistently getting high ranked players. The big boys have been playing the game and will do so at even greater levels now.

So, we can buy the "merch", show the kids love, but if winning and winning big is ever going to be the way things happen at Mizzou in football or basketball, it is going to have to be with a coach that understands this and guides the school and boosters and companies willing to pony up (see Oregon and Phil Knight).

This is why I say the next basketball hire should be Pitino. He has been there and knows how to navigate these waters. We don't here.

In football, Drink has our highest rated recruiting class ever. Some winning will help maintain that. But, in the log haul money talks and bullshit walks. And not just merch money, BIG money. Just my two cents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News