ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Bauer story

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
I'm going to have a story on Luke later this week. I'm talking to him tomorrow afternoon for the story. I talked to his dad Jeff this afternoon.

His dad is the guy in the video that was sent to me after the game Saturday

Jeff graduated from Mizzou in 1987 and has seen most every game since 1983. He was at the 10-0 win over Oklahoma, the fifth down, the kicked ball and many others. The Bauer family has a long history both in college football and with Mizzou (Luke's grandfather played at Benedictine and his dad said he wore a leather helmet (IDK if that's true or not)). Luke's cousin is actually Andy Bauer, who signed with the Tigers a few years ago as a four-star out of DeSmet before his career was derailed by injury.

Anyway, part of the reason the video after that game is so special is that Jeff Bauer has been fighting cancer. He had a kidney removed two years ago and the cancer has spread to other parts of his body. Jeff was very clear that he does not want this to be his story. He must have told me 10 times he wants the focus to be Luke, the Missouri team, the coaches and the fans. And that's what the story will be. Jeff's health adds a layer to it, but he was adamant that Luke is the story and he doesn't want his health to become the focus or take away from that.

I asked him what his favorite Mizzou memory was before Saturday and he said it was Luke's 61-yard punt in the Memphis game, though he also said he shed a tear when Harrison Mevis kicked the game-winning field goal against Kansas State and Luke was the holder. But he admitted Saturday took it to a new level: "I've got great memories of a lot of great games. They all kind of don’t compare based on seeing your own son prosper."

He went to the game with his younger son Jake (a sophomore at Mizzou) and a bunch of friends. He said when Marquis Johnson caught the pass and scored the touchdown they all erupted. "I was yelling out 'That’s my son!' and all my buddies were saying 'that’s my son.' They were all taking pride in him."

I know this story is going to start to make the rounds on St. Louis TV this evening and wanted to let you guys know I'm working on our version of it. Because I'm going to talk to Luke tomorrow, it won't be out as soon as some of the others, but hopefully you will enjoy it later this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News