ADVERTISEMENT

Met the Cunningham family last night

mizzoubj76

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2003
Lindsay Cunningham was honored last night as one of the Mizzou 39--the outstanding seniors program sponsored by the Alumni Association Student Board. I was honored to be asked to be a judge for Mizzou 39 and I read all 148 applications (four essays and a resume for each) in December and January. The four "paper" judges receive the applicants' student numbers only--no names. But when I read Lindsay's application, I knew it was her.

So last night, I wanted to tell Lindsay and Coach Pingeton, whom Lindsay had written about as her mentor, how much her essays had impressed me. Lindsay was with her parents and grandparents and Sophie at the pre-dinner reception. I introduced myself to Lindsay and Sophie stretched out her hand and says, "Hi, I'm Sophie, her sister." I had to laugh that she thought someone wouldn't know who she says. They are a great family. I should have taken a picture with them and posted it. My husband commented that Lindsay and Sophie had on the prettiest (and shortest) dresses in the room. Coach Pingeton was very gracious when I mentioned what Lindsay had written about her. My husband told them how much we enjoy watching their team play and all three thanked us for their support. Such wonderful representatives of our university.

It was a wonderful night of honoring outstanding students at Mizzou. 38 of the 39 were excited, grateful and enthusiastic when they came up on stage to be honored and photographed with their mentors. The lone angry recipient chose to give the power fist salute while being photographed. In her essay about her legacy at Mizzou, she had written "getting the university president fired." But that's a story for the OT board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.