ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Missouri VS. West Virginia Analysis

RIP_GP_MIZ

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2016
This post is designed to take a look at some stats and advanced stats to compare Missouri and West Virginia so far this season. I will also provide some individual player stats after the team stats. Lastly, I just wanted to take a look at some interesting stats so far for Mizzou players. Thanks and enjoy.
All numbers are taken from: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/missouri/

Team-Based Stats

Shooting/Shooting Defense

West Virginia
2 pt percentage: 53.9% (110th in the nation)
3pt percentage: 31.5% (253rd in the nation)
Opponent 3pt percentage: 42.3% (327th in the nation)

Opponent 2pt percentage: 44.2% (85th in the nation)

Mizzou
2 pt percentage: 60.4% (25th in the nation)
3pt percentage: 33.6% (207th in the nation)
Opponent 3pt percentage: 30.8% (93rd in the nation)
Opponent 2pt percentage: 43.5% (71st in the nation)

Conclusion: Mizzou should have the advantage from the 3pt line today. As a team WV does not shoot well from 3 and Mizzou has an above average 3pt defense. Inside the arc appears to be a closer story, although Mizzou slightly edges them statistically from the fact that MU has more big men taking higher percentage 2 pointers close to the hoop, while WV has more guards and wings taking lower percentage 2 pointers further from the basket.

Disruptive Defense (steals, blocks, turnovers)

West Virginia
Opponent Turnovers: 112 (9th)
Steals: 55 (10th)
Blocks: 27 (31st)

Mizzou
Opponent Turnovers: 74 (112th)
Steals: 33 (135th)
Blocks: 21 (89th)

Conclusion: Clearly WV has the advantage here. They have been an elite team at creating turnovers and having an overall disruptive defense. Although as seen above, opponents shoot well against this WV defense. The aggressiveness of their defense causes them to take a lot of risks going for turnovers, allowing for higher percentage shots. If Mizzou takes care of the ball, they will get good looks.

Rebounding

West Virginia
Offensive Rebounds: 87 (7th)
Opponent Defensive rebounds: 125 (211th)

Mizzou
Defensive Rebounds: 141 (88th)
Opponent offensive rebounds: 48 (174th)

Conclusion: As WV is not an elite shooting team, they create much of their offense from second chance opportunities, at 7th in the nation in offensive rebounds. However, Mizzou has been pretty good on the defensive boards not allowing opponents to create many second chances. Mizzou using their size advantage will be the key here. Limit second chance points.

Players to look for (Skip down if you are afraid of advanced stats)

I've tried to stay away from advanced stats so far as I know a lot of people get flustered, but hang with me. I will explain them in simple terms. The main one's for today are:
TS%: This is field goal percentage, but taking into account the value of 3 pointers and free throws. League average TS% for the 2016-2017 season was 54.1%. So for reference: Poor= <50%, Average-ish = 52-55%, Above-average = 56-59%, Elite = >60%
ORB%: The percentage of total offensive rebounds grabbed when player was on the court.
DRB%: The percentage of total defensive rebounds grabbed when player was on the court.
TRB%: The percentage of total rebounds grabbed when player was on the court.
USG%: How many possessions a player uses (shot, assist, or turnover).

West Virginia
Jevon Carter: 16.5 ppg, 6 apg, 4.4 rpg, 4.4 steals per game
TS%: 56.2
USG%: 21.2

The best scorer on the team and second best shooter. Incredibly disruptive on the defensive end causing 4.4 steals per game. Mizzou's young guards will need to be extra careful with the ball around Carter tonight.

Daxter Miles: 14.2 ppg, 3 apg, 3 rpg
TS%: 55.5
USG%: 25.4

WV's second highest scorer, however uses the most possessions of all the players. A respectable inside and mid-range player sporting a 55% TS. Not a big threat from 3.

James Bolden: 11.8 ppg , 43.3% from 3 point land.
TS%: 59.2

Clearly WV's best shooter. Only shooter Mizzou really needs to worry about getting open looks.

Saqaba Konate: 11.5 ppg, 7rpg, 3.3 blks per game
ORB%: 12.1%
DRB%: 22.9 %
TRB%: 16.9 %

A monster on the glass, defensive and offensive. Big defensive presence creating 3 blocks a game so far. Will be key for Mizzou's bigs to block this man out in the defensive post. Our guards also must be weary when driving the lane on Konate.

Interesting MIZZOU stats so far this season (FIRST 5 GAMES as the reference website has not updated with stats from St. Johns yet):

Jeremiah Tilmon

-leads the tigers in USG% at 27.5%
-leads the tigers in Turnover % at 25.4%
- Been a better offensive rebounder than defensive rebounder (14.4 ORB% vs. 13.7 DRB%)
-Shooting well from inside so far. 69.8% TS

Jontay Porter
- 17.6 TRB%. Second on team behind Nikko (19.9%)
- 59% TS (60% is elite in the NBA)
- 30.8% of 3 pointers made
- 38% of his shots have come from the 3 pt. line.
- 23.6% USG (Second behind Tilmon)
- 9.1% Blk rate (By far the highest on the team)

Kevin Puryear
- 67% TS
- 22.2% Turnover % (3rd on team)
- 23.1% usg (3rd on team)

Kassius Robertson
- 50.2% TS (Not good for a shooter)
- 30.3% from 3 so far.
- 65% of shots coming from the 3 point line.
- 22.7 usg% (4th on team)

Jordan Barnett
- 48.6% TS (Bad)

Cullen VanLeer
- 52.3% TS (OK, not great for a shooter)
- 33.3% made from 3 pt land
-81% of CVL's shots so far have been 3 pointers

Jordan Geist
- 64.4 % TS
- 70% of his shots have been from 3.
- Only a 15.5% Turnover percentage (5th best on team)
- 25.3 ast% (second behind Blake Harris)

Blake Harris
- 51.4% TS
- 43.8 ast% (By far the highest on the team)

Terrance Phillips
- 84.7% TS (wow)

If you guys enjoyed this type of thing, let me know. If there is anything I can do better also let me know and I will work on it in the future. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News