GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Y'all deserve another post. My top ten things I've covered/board memories:

10) Raffle and his many iterations

9) The Curators meetings. All of it. I've probably spent a month of my life sitting in the hallway waiting for someone to come out and say "No comment"

8) The live shows. Connor Tollison calling in, cat facts, some dude asking about Mike Cox and me not believing he existed. Opened up a whole new avenue.

7) Taking my son to two things:

First, 2010 Game Day. Took him to the Quad at 530 in the morning. Never thought I'd see Mizzou like that. Had a ball. Think I went to bed about 230. Wasn't even tired.

Second, Alabama in 2018. It was his 21st birthday present. We bought him and a friend tickets and airfare and a hotel room. They had two rules: 1) Don't get arrested 2) Keep enough of a charge on your phone that I can reach you when I'm done working. They abided by both rules by the narrowest of margins. We finally told their mothers that story a year or two ago.

6) Meeting @eyeguy71 through a post he made about calling Cuonzo Martin and leaving a voicemail that Cuonzo had inspired his daughter Riley in her fight for cancer. I hooked them up with tickets to a game and they got to meet Cuonzo and thank him personally. I think they stayed in touch. Jeff and I did. He's one of my best friends now. We talk and text and play golf (him well, me poorly). We grew up five houses away from each other but it took this site to bring us together. BTW, Riley graduated from Mizzou and she's a badass.

5) Armageddon at Arrowhead. Truly a day work was a privilege. We took a pic with all the Mizzou J-School grads who were in the press box covering that game. I've got to ask my dad if he still has it. Epic day.

4) GadeD breaking the "news" that Barry Odom had been fired while Mitchell Forde and I were on a flight to Gainesville. Holy shit was my phone lit up when we landed.

3) Gary Pinkel's retirement. I've told this story before. I had it from six sources. I was scared to death to publish it. There are a few things you absolutely cannot be wrong on. I could not be wrong on it. I went back and forth for 20 minutes. Finally hit publish. Beat Dave Matter by about 30 seconds. I always tell students the best feeling in the world is breaking a story and the worst feeling in the world is waiting for someone else to confirm the story you broke.

2) Conference realignment. Epic. It lasted three years. It was really the event that launched this site from pretty good to a monster. I'll never forget the call

"Missouri has an offer on the table from the SEC."

"Can I write that?"

"I think they want you to write that."

I write it. 45 minutes later.

"I'm not sure we should have done that."

"Too late now"

1) Working side by side with my dad for nine years. Hardly anybody gets that. He's the reason I liked sports, he's the reason I went into this and I learned pretty much everything I know about it from him. If you thought this thing we've done for the last 21 years was any good at all, he's the reason. If you thought it sucked, he's still the reason.

Probably missing some things. Those are the ones that stood out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.