ADVERTISEMENT

Night and day difference in feel throughout Tiger Nation --

PhiDelt02

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2006
I used to be a regular poster here. But recent years have beaten me down as a fan. I don't like to post negativity, so when I'm feeling negative about the programs -- my nature is to keep it to myself.

Flashback to Sunday, November 6th. Mizzou football had just lost it's 5th straight game @ South Carolina, and this coming off a very poor 2015 season. And during 2015, we had to endure the embarrassing protest stuff, which really beat down the fanbase. Mizzou basketball was set to begin, and hope was at an all time low with no light at the end of the tunnel in sight. Michael Porter Jr was set to begin his senior season in Seattle, which would be followed by playing for his godfather Romar at UW.

Flash-forward just 4.5 months.

Football: The final 3 games of the football season provided hope for the future, particularly offensively. It's my opinion that Mizzou could have an ELITE offense this year. Yes, statistically you could say that occurred last year... but I honestly don't feel it was legitimately earned (down big most every game, so passed the ball a ton starting early in games ---- also had a few insane games with respect to yardage against cupcakes) This "elite prediction" requires a leap of faith on a few things of course, but none being unrealistic. Lock really started coming into his own late last season, can he take that next step? Crockett had a fantastic freshman season, and can he take that next step and be a 1st or 2nd team all SEC back over the next few years? The OL remains almost entirely intact after blowing away expectations a year ago, can they improve and not show that last year was an aberration? The WR core was pitiful in 2015, and while the catching ability still left alot to be desired in 2016 --- they took a big step forward and showed that they were developing the type of playmakers that can get open. Can they now be more consistent with their hands? TE play should be solid. Of all of those question marks listed, I don't think it's far fetched at all that any one of them come to fruition. And if they do, I'm predicting one of the nations best offenses --- done in a legit way, as opposed to a year ago. Defensively --- well, they can't get any worse! Odom is a defensive coach. Remember how the OL made a big improvement, and this was done with new players. I think Odom and company find a way to coach the D up to being at least respectable. I just looked at the schedule.. Have we EVER had an easier schedule??? I'm embarrassed to type this, but if we answer most of the above questions positively, I'm thinking 9-3 is very much a possibility. Quite frankly, I do not see an unwinnable game on that schedule.

Basketball: We don't know how this class will end. Regardless, excitement has has gone from flat line to extreme excitement. As for expectations, since no schedule has been released -- I'm going to look at least years schedule and list how I think we would have done if we ONLY added Porter. I think one thing people may not realize, this group of what will be returning veteran players next year, were much more competitive this season despite another horrific record. Lost a lot of close games, and a few where they had leads or were in the game well into the second half until the wheels came off with around 10 minutes to go. With the exception of two games, I'm going to count losses from last year as wins if they lost by 5 or less. Truth is, there are a few games on the schedule in which they just fell apart late and didn't stay within 5... they could very well have won those with a superstar on the team. But I'll still count those as losses.

WINS (if last year it was a loss, i'll put by how many points in parenthesis)

Xavier (L1)
Davison (L15) --- one of my two exceptions
Tulane
NW St
NC Central (L10) - the other exception
W Kentucky
Miami-OH
E Illlinois (L3)
Lipscomb (L5)
Georgia (L5)
Auburn (L5)
Ole Miss (L4)
Arky
ATM (L3)
Vandy
Bama (L3)
Ole Miss (L3)
Auburn

That's 18 wins

LOSSES (in parenthesis is how many points we lost by)

Arizona (19)
Illinois (9)
LSU (11)
Arky (19)
Bama (8)
Miss St (15)
SC (10)
Florida (39)
Tenn (20)
UK (10)
ATM (17)
Auburn (11)
Ole Miss (12)

That's 13 losses

I think, while that is significant improvement, doubt very many would be very happy with that. You certainly had more games on that lost list, in which they played toe to toe with the opposing team for most of the game.. but let final score get away from them.

Of those in loss column, here are games we had within 5 in second half...

vs Illinois
vs LSU
at Bama
at Miss St
vs USC
at UK (surprisingly we played them pretty tight this year -- maybe they slept walked)

Lets say you win 50% of those in which you were within a basket or two in the second half but ended up losing by more than 5.

That's 3 more wins, and you're now 21-10.

And if you want to be optimistic, three other major factors are to be considered...

1. It's very possible that we will add more players that can help than just MPJ. Probably even likely.

2. Confidence is a HUGE thing in sports. Win a few of those games that were losses, and everything changes about your chances of winning the game in front of you.

3. I'm a HUGE believer in the theory that decent, but not great players like Phillips, Puryear, and Barnett are unfairly evaluated when they are on a team in which they are expected to be the stars of the team. Phillips is a perfect example of this. Seems like about 50% of the posters on here feel he's in jeopardy of losing significant playing time. I feel it's completely the opposite scenario. I feel he will flourish when surrounding by other excellent talent. Out of necessity this year, particularly late in games --- he had to be super aggressive due to the fact that he really was our best option to make things happen. Not saying he was our best player, but he was easily the best when it came to making a play out of nothing. He's actually developed into a good shooter, and can make things happen -- but he was not recruited to be the guy you tell to get you baskets late in games. That's not his fault that he had to play out of character this year. Some even think he's not a real PG, because they didn't seem him making great passes to guys for easy baskets. I STRONGLY believe that was due to the fact that we didn't have those guys to finish around the rim or make open shots. Can't wait for him to prove the naysayers wrong. I think he will be a fixture as a our starting PG next year, and will graduate as one of the all time favorites here. Guys like Barnett and Puryear are also going to play with far more confidence this year. The game will come more free and easy to them, and I would bet their shooting percentages shoot up. I always felt Jonathon Williams III was a guy that was setup for failure when you ask him to be one of your top two players --- which he was asked to do here. At Gonzaga, he's asked to do more what he should be asked to do --- his shooting percentage is 20% higher this year!!! Yes, 20% higher! I'm sure he got better, but so much of that is due to being able to play within his capabilities. Just think how much better guys like Pressey, English, Denmon, Ratliffe, and Dixon looked once Pressey and Ratliffe got more comfortable in year 2.

English 2P% went from 37% to 59% from his jr to sr year.
Dixon 2P% went from 37% to 46% from his soph to jr year.
Ratliffe 2P% went from 59% to 69% from his jr to soph year
Denmon actually had a phenomenal breakout year his soph year, and shot 53% and 54% his last two.

Pressey is a very good example of how things I think are with a guy like Phillips. And no, I am NOT saying this two guys are the same type of player. They really have pretty different styles. But alot of the same dynamics are at play, the stuff Phillips is heavily criticized for are done out of necessity. Not out of selfishness. Believe it or not, Phillips also made quite a few late game shots this year (something Phil actually never really seemed to do)

Pressey numbers:

Freshman year 2P% 41%.
Sophomore year 2P% 47%
Junior year 2P% 41% (took 2.2 more shots per game than previous year). IMO, no way did he become more selfish or become a lesser shooter. But this was before Jabari Brown was ready, so he did this out of necessity. Much like Phillips this year.

Can't wait till September!!!! I think next year will put most all of the negative feelings that came out of the protest, the terrible two previous football seasons, and a basketball program performing at a level worthy of being labeled as the WORST major conference program in the country over the last few years.

Sorry for such a long post... but it's been a few years since I could muster up enough passion to post on here!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News