ADVERTISEMENT

On this, Mr. Obama, we agree in lockstep

V-P

Hall of Famer
Jul 1, 2004
Lee's Summit
As most of you who have been on here for a few years know about my stance on federal government spending, I have long believed the two most important goals at the federal level are to #1 protect our physical borders and American citizens throughout the world so that Americans everywhere are safe. #2 Guarantee higher education opportunities to America's youth, ensuring that cost is NEVER an object for the brightest young men & women of all socioeconomic levels to attend either college or legit vocational schools.

This next paragraph will sound like a rehash of my comments from the past when we've discussed entitlements on here, but it was written by someone else in this linked article. Sustaining a prosperous national economy is rooted in a foundation of educated citizens. No doubt.

"...it's also worth acknowledging the potential impact of the plan - which is huge. Battles over health care, immigration, gun control and other issues may attract more attention. But both history and economics suggest that nothing may have a greater effect on the future of living standards than education policy."

Now before my conservagenius friends on here come bum rushing me for supporting the concept of this impending proposal, there is a hidden benefit you must consider. A smarter populous means fewer Democrats. Think about it.

They'll have to find $50 billion* somewhere to pay for it, but this is going to be widely supported across party affiliations among everyday Americans, so I'm betting they'll locate it somewhere. I have some guidance for them immediately, actually, which could be wound down almost instantly to loud applause. Defund the ridiculous federal HITEC regs and ARRA Meaningful Use program and all the bureaucracy that goes along with them. By doing this, the feds won't have to pay any remaining incentives to hospitals & physicians, which they will all welcome because it costs far more to reach the set goals than they get in return anyhow. That's certainly not he entire $50 billion,* but its several, which is a good start.

* I'm saying $50 billion because far more than 9,000,000 nationwide will sign up for this program, and at ~$4000 each, you're talking $36 billion alone in owed tuition. Then tack on the new bureaucracy associated with administering the entire beast of a program -- from executives to accountants to customer service agents to those who track student grades & progress to those who monitor and enforce fraud & abuse of the system, this will be similar to the the IRS and Obamacare in many ways. That part isn't great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News