ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Parity in college football?

MIZDSP

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2014
I know we like to hyper-focus on Mizzou and how they have performed to date.

But looking around college football, you just don’t see a ton separating most of these teams.

To date, I see two teams who have stood out above the rest: Texas and Tennessee.

Ole Miss, Alabama, Miami and Ohio State have looked great too, but haven’t played anybody yet (Wisconsin and Florida suck). I guess we have to throw Georgia in this group out of respect, but they certainly don’t look like the same old Georgia.

Beyond that? It looks like anyone can beat anyone on a given day. I just see a ton of the same type of team in the Top 25 beyond that group.

They are talented teams who can beat just about anyone on a given day, but also lose to just about anyone. We should consider ourselves lucky we haven’t been sniped yet like Notre Dame, Kansas State, Nebraska, etc.

I think we are seeing the transfer portal lengthen out the teams in that next tier of college football. The elite teams at the top are still there. I’d say 4-5 teams have a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. But there are 12 spots up for grabs in the playoffs. And a whole lot of teams that look very similar fighting for them.

If you want to look on the bright side, Mizzou’s teams have always improved as the season has gone along under Drinkwitz. Shaky Septembers, improved Octobers and strong Novembers. Let’s hope that trend continues to hold.

Everything is still in front of Mizzou. And for as bad as they’ve looked, A&M, Umass and Auburn have looked just as bad if not markedly worse. It won’t take a ton of improvement to get Mizzou over the hump in those three games. And if you can do it, you hope the gradual improvement and confidence has them feeling good heading into T-Town.

TLDR: Yeah, Mizzou hasn’t looked great this season. But neither has most of college football. If Mizzou is able to find its footing, the playoffs are still right there for the taking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.