ADVERTISEMENT

POST-GAME HOOPS THOUGHTS

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Ummm, well, Missouri scored 43 points. 43. In a season in which they were (coming into today) 314th in the nation in offense, today was the worst it has been (I understand they scored fewer against Kentucky, but it was Kentucky).

I will say, before I post many things that are not incredibly positive, that J3 looked better today to me than he has in recent memory. I mean he was only 3-8 from the floor and only 4-10 (yes, 4-10) from the free throw line, so he wasn't great. But he looked more engaged and he got 12 rebounds and on a day where nobody could do much of anything very well, he was Missouri's best chance to win.

This team is just like death by 1000 paper cuts. There's no one thing you point to and say "That's what caused the loss" or "That play turned it around." They just kind of bleed slowly until all of a sudden you look up and they're down 11 points. It doesn't really surprise you. You can tell how poor this team is because when you feel as if it's playing well, you look at the scoreboard and they're up like three. When you feel like they're playing poorly, you look up and they're down 20.

Anyway, Missouri scored 43 points. Arkansas scored 43 in the second half. In a loss. LSU scored 40 and 41 in the two halves, respectively. In games involving top 25 teams today, there were 12 halves (by 10 teams) that scored at least 43 points in one half (and another five that scored at least 40).

Missouri had one player make at least half his shots. Keanau Post was 1-2. Everyone else missed more than 50% of the shots he took today. The Tigers went 8-15 from the free throw line. They had five assists. FIVE. All game. They made 15 shots. That's one for every 160 seconds of game time.

None of the previous two paragraphs contain opinion. It is all facts. It is laid out simply to illustrate how terrible today's offensive effort was. And the worst part was that until the final four minutes, Missouri still had a decent shot to win the game. In a season where I have frequently thought to myself, is this the worst basketball game I've ever seen?, I don't think any have been less entertaining than today's was. It was just two hours of terribly unentertaining television. I'm sorry if that's harsh, but it was.

This team has one or two games left. They will play at 830 in Nashville on Wednesday. If they manage to beat South Carolina (coming off a 60-49 win over Tennessee, their first over the Vols since 2007), they'll get either Ole Miss/LSU/UGA/AA&M (I don't know what the tiebreakers are) on Thursday and I've got to imagine that will be it. And at this point, that's for the best. Let's get to the offseason and see where things go.

This post was edited on 3/7 7:54 PM by GabeD

This post was edited on 3/7 7:56 PM by GabeD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News