ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL ***POST SCRIPT: SCRIMMAGE 1***

PTScantlebury

PowerMizzou.com Associate Editor
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2008
Kansas City
Breaking down the defense a little more…

— It was a bit of an odd scrimmage on Saturday. The defense won 19-7, but the offense had over 600 passing yards, six total touchdowns and just one turnover (a backwards pass by Eddie Printz, scooped up by Thomas Wilson for a 46-yard gain).

But let’s take a look a little bit more at what the first-team defense did on Saturday. By my count, the first-team defense was on the field for 42 snaps. Quarterbacks (mainly Printz, but Maty Mauk and Marvin Zanders each had a series against the first-team defense) completed 10-of-22 passes for 171 yards and one touchdown. Two of those were completions were for 110 yards (a 65-yarder from Printz to J’Mon Moore, a 35-yard TD from Mauk to Wesley Leftwich).

So, on the other 20 attempts, the quarterbacks went 8-for-20 for 61 yards. They won’t be happy about the two long completions, but the defense was, for the most part, very strong.

The rushing defense got off to a bad start when it allowed a 31-yard run by Tyler Hunt on the first play from scrimmage. But, in total, the defense allowed 74 yards on 20 carries (3.7 YPC). So, after the first running play, the defense allowed 43 yards on 19 carries (2.26 YPC). It also should be noted that the only runs over ten yards (after Hunt’s) were on quarterback scrambles.

All in all, a pretty solid day for the defense, even with that gaudy passing line as a team.

A little more context about the passing totals…

— Based on rudimentary research on MUTigers.com, it looks like yesterday’s passing performance was Missouri’s best in a season since fall camp 2013. On Aug. 10, 2013, the quarterbacks combined for a 50-88, 672-yards, 3 TD-3 INT stat line. A few days later, in the same camp, the quarterbacks went 48-for-74 for 560 yards, nine touchdowns and three interceptions.

On Saturday, they threw for 652 yards and five touchdowns on 52-85 passing. It was the first scrimmage without an interception since last Aug. 21, 2014.

— Also adding a little more context to Drew Lock’s day on Saturday (14-19, 139 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs). Here are the stat lines from the first career scrimmages for James Franklin and Maty Mauk:

Franklin: 8-13, 57 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
Mauk: 25-36, 151, 0-0

MUTigers.com does not have stats listed for the first career scrimmages for Blaine Gabbert or Chase Daniel.

—Another note about Lock’s day: I counted two clear drops (and one was probably a catch-and-fumble), and then one other pass hit Jason Reese in the hands (although it would have been a tough catch). Another incompletion was on a pass break-up by Joey Burkett, where Burkett hit the receiver hard as he was trying to catch it. So, I believe only one pass Lock threw did not hit a receiver in the hands.

— I tweeted this yesterday, but I’m not gushing over Lock’s day and ignoring that of Marvin Zanders. He led the quarterbacks with 191 yards on 10-of-15 passing, and he had the longest throws of the day, too. However, three of his 10 completions were for 141 yards. I just thought Lock was a little more consistent than Zanders, but his ability for explosive plays is something that’s certainly impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News