FOOTBALL Quick thoughts from today's practice

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Jarod posted some takeaways here

I spent a little time watching passing drills. Basically the QB, three receivers and some defenders. First time we've had a chance to see anyone throw a pass against a defender.

*Peanut Houston got wide open deep twice. Looked like both reps were against Nicholas DeLoach, a true freshman. First one was a TD, second one was a good throw from Brady Cook that went off Houston's hands.

*Cook also hit Luther Burden about 20 yards down the sideline between two defenders and Burden walked in the end zone.

*Most interesting play was Gabarri Johnson throwing to Jamal Roberts in the flat. Pass bounced off Roberts' hands, but richocheted straight to a tight end behind him who caught it. Little luck never hurt.

*One person I talked to who has seen more practice than I have said his opinion is that Cook has had the best camp of the quarterbacks by a pretty wide margin. But it's just one person and they aren't in pads yet, so long way to go.

*Jarod mentioned the drops by the safety in one drill. Let's just say you could tell why they're playing safety and not wide receiver.

*Maybe it's just my eyes or maybe he's wearing special pads, but Jaylon Carlies looked bigger to me than he was last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News