ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL QUICK THOUGHTS ON MISSOURI’S 38-21 WIN OVER No. 24 Kentucky

JHamilton23

All-American
Staff
Jun 18, 2022
1. Incredibly slow start, but it got better

Missouri started incredibly slow with a punt, interception and another punt. The exact opposite of its start versus LSU last week with three straight touchdowns. However, good teams can start the team looking like crap and come back and take over the game and regain control. It didn't take Mizzou the entire game, just the first half to regain the lead.

I was impressed because it looked like Mizzou wasn't going to just lose but get blown out.

2. Putting up points without Luther Burden

Undoubtedly, Luther Burden's quietest game of the seasons. He only had two receptions for 15 yards. But again, that's okay. It's unreasonable to think Burden was going to continue to have 100-yard receiving games every week in the SEC and no one to stop him.

This time, we saw some of the supporting cast put in the work and produce when he couldn't.

Brett Norfleet had four receptions for 40 yards.

Theo Wease had six receptions for 58 yards and a touchdown.

Marquis Johnson had two receptions for 44 yards and a touchdown.

Cody Schrader didn't have a big day on the ground but he helped put the team up two scores with a 19-yard touchdown with a little over 11 minutes in the fourth quarter. Every game no matter how good or bad the run game is he makes one of these plays to help the team get in a position to win or put the game out of reach.

He had 20 carries for 71 yards and a touchdown.

3. Pressure and tackle behind the LOS was better

A theme for most of the season seemed to be that Missouri's front seven could get in the backfield but not bring the quarterback or running back down. I saw a lot of that tonight still, but the Tigers upped their sack totals with four tonight and six tackles for loss.

Defensive end Darius Robinson with six tackles, two sacks and 2.5 tackles for loss.

Defensive end Johnny Walker with three tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack.

4. Defense has some issues but they will be okay

"They had me in the first half." If you know, you know.

That defense in the first half was making me think that we are looking at a defense on a major decline.

Mizzou allowed a quick 14 points to start the game and allowed 171 yards in the first half and in the second half, it allowed seven points for 119 yards and had three takeaways and three sacks.

As of the 4:15 mark in the fourth quarter, Kentucky has run 31 plays for 80 yards since the end of the first quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News