ADVERTISEMENT

QUICK THOUGHTS TO WRAP SATURDAY

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
@mitchell4d was there and gave a great in depth notebook and his own closing thoughts so make sure to give those a read.

I'll do my in-depth ten thoughts from the win for tomorrow morning but just wanted to throw a few quick thoughts here. Let's just title this "I was wrong"

After week one, many of you insisted Connor Bazelak should be the QB and I said no. I was wrong.

Many of you said LSU wasn't very impressive and was beatable and I disagreed. I was wrong (and I want to say it doesn't matter if this isn't last year's version of LSU, it's still LSU and they're still the defending champions and you don't apologize in the slightest for beating them)

This morning when we posted about everyone who wasn't playing, I gave Missouri virtually no chance and said the main goal was to keep everyone upright to face Vandy, a team you could actually beat next week. I was wrong.

I didn't think the following players would ever make a significant contribution in a game for Missouri: Tauskie Dove, Barrett Banister, Micah Wilson, Dionte Smith (I'll be honest, I didn't even know who he was until a couple weeks ago). I was wrong.

I said last week that what Missouri fans needed was what the other new SEC coaches got last week: A tangible Saturday of proof that you've got a program that can get this thing done. Not that this means for sure any of those coaches is the right guy or any of these programs will be great. But in year one, all you REALLY need is one day where it comes together and you beat somebody you shouldn't beat and you give your fanbase this giant bag of hope to cling to. Missouri fans got that today.

The short version is this: Today might have been the most impressed I've ever been with a Missouri coaching staff. At least since 1997 against Nebraska. Everything this team had dealt with and was dealing with combined with playing a team that any way you look at it is far more talented than they are themselves gave you every reason to think this wasn't possible. Eli Drinkwitz emptied the damn cupboard on offense and Ryan Walters moved the pieces around and withstood a bunch of blows and every time Missouri absolutely had to have a stop to keep upset hopes alive they got it. And then they came together for four plays that combined for one of the most incredible, memorable sequences in Missouri football in my nearly two decades covering the team.

Drinkwitz had a very difficult job this week in getting his players to believe they could do this and they were better than we all (yes, I'm included) said they were. This week, he has a difficult job too. He has to get them to believe they aren't as good as we'll all say they are and get their feet back on the ground to prepare the same way for Vandy that they did for LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.