ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched 2nd half

mglassma

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2008
The whole time it felt like we were going to pull away and turn it into a laugher. And yet we just never did.

Great drive by the offense to start the half. And a great run by Cook to get in the Endzone.

Fast forwarding to the 4th quarter. Our 2nd to last offensive drive of the ball game. That was our chance to ice it and we settled for 3.

The reason we settled for 3 is that on 3rd down from the RZ it appeared Kirby called a designed run for Brady Cook and for whatever reason Cayden Green was pass blocking or atleast trying to get back to his defender who ran out wide (essentially taking himself out of the play entirely) and in doing so he stonewalled Cook at the line of scrimmage. That was pretty terrible whatever that was. Wasted opportunity to ice the game. Especially since Brady missed a WIDE open Luther Burden on a deep ball for 6. And I think Brady played a really good game but damn he has to convert that.

One play that really irked me before that on the same drive was a 3rd and 4 where they did a shuffle pass to Norfleet up the middle. Norfleet for the third time in the ball game was tackled immediately by a much smaller player. This was a really bad game for Brett and a bad call by Kirby. I wouldn't have been as irked if I'd seen some fight out of Norfleet before that but I hadn't. As physical as our team is, Brett's effort didn't look great to me. Maybe it's injury related but either way Brutal. IMO we were trying to be too cute there. Either way, Wease and Cook bailed him out with a 4th down conversion after.

Speaking of tight ends, Jordon Harris made the block that sprung Brady Cook for the first down to ice the ball game. That was great to see. Hopefully we get him involved in the passing game at some point. The kid is built like a brick house.

On the final drive. A great pass and catch by Cook/Burden on third down to allow us to run clock and pick up the initial first down on the final drive. That's a pressure play. If you dont convert there BC gets the ball back with momentum and a chance to win it. You have to think the 4th and 17 conversion against Florida really boosts Brady's confidence in these pressure cooker situations.

Our final Defensive possession. Awful. Defensively Burks got lost, allowing the TE to score. But before that both Kristian Willams and Zion Young missed a big sack on third down. But even before that, Daylan Carnell dropped an INT that at worst had us in chip shot FG range and at best should've been 6. We really stepped on our dicks everywhere imaginable on that final drive including allowing them to covert a 27 yd pass to the sideline on the initial 3rd and ten of the drive.

On a positive note a player that really stood out to me was Khalil Jacobs. I think he needs to see the field more. He is fast. My guess is he will get more clock against Vandy as will Trevez Johnson.

Watching the 2nd half over really reaffirmed to me just how much more talented a team we were. It's a shame we couldn't put it all together and show the Country a bit more of what we're capable of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.