ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting report, Cullen Vanleer in Spfd

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddforthree

Letterman
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2012
There is a tournament in Spfd called the Missouri Challenge. I went to watch Cullen play. Here are my thoughts.

What a shooter. Wow lets say that again. What a shooter. He made probably 6 or 7 threes and they were deep. Two were probably 30 feet out. I had read he was a great shooter but I had no idea he was this good. Just an A+ shooter. He appears to be a threat around mid court if you would let him shoot it

Here is what I didnt know from reading this board. He is an A+ passer. Great court vision and passing skills. He made two tremendous alley oops to Juwan Morgan. Great looks. He is unselfish which I didnt expect to see. Another A+

Defense is hard to say. I am not sure he has great lateral quickness. I would give him a B here. He plays too under control on defense. I think for him to be successful in college he is going to have to learn to get his hands dirty. He doesnt have the lock down killer instinct he is going to need. He plays like he is worried about fouling out. In HS thats probably the correct thing to do, not in an All star game

Dribbling. He gets a B here. He is a lot like Teki and Namon. Dribbling in traffic is not his strong suit. He is going to have to work on being stronger with the ball.

Court IQ is an A. He is in control and sees the court. This is good to see since the last few MU teams have/had poor Court IQ

Rebounding. This was the most disappointing part of the game I saw. He needs to go get the ball. Again he is going to have to learn to get dirty to help his team

To sum it up, in the second half the other coach instructed their team to double him every time he touched the ball. I have never seen that in an all star game. I think that tells you what they thought of him.

Future body. He is a legit 6'4 and is long enough to give you something to work with. They will make him better athletically.

After watching Phillips and Vanleer play it appears Anderson is going for players who have court vision and share the ball to make up for the lack of signing 5 stars. Its a strategy that will work given time and if you have the shooters. Court vision is extremely underrated in basketball. The ability to see the floor makes up for athletic short comings assuming Vanleer strugles in that area. Laterally he might. We shall see

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News