ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC SEC College Towns

jdw985

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2017
Another thread asking about whose making the trip to Tuscaloosa this year made me think about the SEC towns I've been to and my thoughts on them (I will also be going to T-Town). And now that Mizzou has been in the SEC for 6 years, many people on this board have been to many of these towns I imagine. I haven't been to all of them but have been to several. Would be cool to get everyone else's thoughts on the places they've been and which ones they liked and didn't like. I'll rank mine from best to worst.

1. Athens, GA: Honestly, I'd argue Athens is the best college town in America. Went for the game last year and I was blown away. Beautiful campus, great food including two really good BBQ restaurants (Pulaski Heights BBQ and Dawg Gone Good BBQ), incredible downtown bar scene (the sheer number is insane but the quality is good too), and an awesome football gameday atmosphere.

2. Nashville, TN: I debated on whether to even include Nashville in this list. It's a great city, but obviously not a college town. Vandy is probably not in the first 5 things when you think about Nashville. Nonetheless, Nashville is a fun place. Lots of good restaurants and bars. Tons of country music if you're in to that. The Vandy gameday experience is kinda lame. We tailgated by the stadium but their wasn't much excitement around campus and the stadium was probably about 2/3 filled when I went.

3 Oxford, MS: If you were to google "Small Southern Town", Oxford MS is the first thing that should come up. The Grove is really something, unusual with the no-open flame and Sunday-best attire, but it's a unique experience to say the least. Beautiful campus in more ways than one. Lot of bars and restaurants on the Square.

4. Knoxville, TN: Cumberland Ave and Market Square are good spots to hit up for restaurants, bars, and shopping. UT seems more spread out than most campuses. Neyland Stadium is massive. Their fans seemed pretty nice actually (yes, this was pre Greg Schiano fiasco when I went for a game)

5. Fayetteville, AR: Never been to a Mizzou-Arky game but have been to a couple of Arkansas games because one of my best friends from high school went to school there. Dickson Street is their main strip with several bars and restaurants so that is pretty fun, but other than that there isn't a whole lot going on. Wasn't overly impressed with the campus or the town itself. Very passionate fan base.

FWIW, Columbia would be in between Nashville and Oxford for me on this ranking.

Still haven't been to Tuscaloosa (although that will change shortly), Auburn, College Station, Gainesville, Columbia SC, Starkville, Lexington, or Baton Rouge

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News