Some notes from Curtis Luper

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
on a zoom call with Mizzou's running backs coach:

On recruiting St. Louis: "We’re still learning the dynamics of the state, learning the dynamics of a city like St. Louis. I think it starts with the high school coaches and us developing relationships…A lot of people say we’re going to recruit the state. To say it and actually do it, that’s what we’re doing."
It helps immensely. You have guys that have played some football in this league that understand concepts…When you have guys that are really smart and they are…they’ll expedite the process of installing our offense. We’ve installed it once, we’ll install it again.

On his relationship with Shawn Robinson: "I think my role with Shawn is just that I know him. He played for me for two years…I have a sense of his strengths and his weaknesses and I know his personality."

On Drinkwitz: "He’s exceeded my expectations as a head football coach as a CEO as a manager of men as a manager of families. There’s a reason he’s in the position he’s in."

I asked him about getting to coach his son and he said "It brings a smile to my face just to have you ask the question." Said that he coached his older son at TCU for two years and he knows how to balance the dynamics, loves the chance (no pun intended) to spend four more years with his son. Said the only thing he told Chance during recruiting was that he couldn't go somewhere else in the SEC where he would play against Mizzou. Already had a relationship with Drink and Erik Link and Casey Woods so that helped a lot.

Luper's aunt was the leader of the Civil Rights movement in Oklahoma in the early 1950's. I think Dave Matter may be doing a story on this so I don't want to step on his toes, but it should be interesting.

Said the kids they have committed in the class have a lot of dynamic personalities and have done a really good job being recruiters for Mizzou. Was asked about the chance of increased decommitments and said you'll have to see but by having kids committed to you, you have an exponentially better chance of signing them eventually. Said "The kids we have committed to us are the most important ones because they're ours."

He's a really good talker and very engaging. Think you guys will enjoy him over the years. For those who may have missed it earlier this spring, here's the Q&A I did with him:

https://missouri.rivals.com/news/meet-the-staff-curtis-luper

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News