ADVERTISEMENT

SOME QUICK THOUGHTS BEFORE I HEAD BACK TO COMO

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Huge win for Missouri when it really needed one. The season hasn't been what most had hoped. The roster has holes. It's a process. But getting players like Luther Burden speeds up the process. Eli Drinkwitz said earlier this week he had hoped Mizzou could skip some steps along the way, but they couldn't. I'm not sure if Burden lets them skip some steps, but he increases the speed of the steps they're taking.

When I was at the season opener against CBC, you could tell Burden was different. On the field, yes, but this was a game with close to 10 D1 players and Burden was held on a different level by the rest of them. He's the guy everybody in St. Louis looks up to. The great players know he's the greatest player. The younger players want to be him when they get older. And this isn't just what I think. People from St. Louis and even Darren Sunkett said the same thing to me.

I'm not a huge believer in the domino effect. But this kind of feels like it could start a domino effect. We'll see.

Mizzou fans and supporters stepped up here guys. I'm just gonna tell you, NIL is no small part of why Burden is playing his college ball in Columbia. Yes, Drinkwitz and the staff had to sell him and some of the current commits and players from St. Louis helped. But without Mizzou fans stepping up, this probably doesn't happen. Mizzou fans take a lot of heat. They should be acknowledged too.

Finally, just want to thank you guys. We had 5200 people on our live stream. It wasn't perfect. WiFi was spotty, I was trying to run four things at once and made a couple errors with the audio, but I hope it was worth it. We gave you a way to see the commitment live, we talked to Luther, Miles McVey, Isaac Thompson, Marquis Gracial and Jamarion Wayne. @Sean_Williams drove four and a half hours to get here and will drive back tomorrow. He did an excellent job operating the camera. Hope you guys enjoyed it and it gave you a way to connect to the announcement (by the way, a birdie told me the Missouri coaches were watching and they were optimistic before the announcement, but didn't know for sure).

We've got three or four stories on the front page, Sean and @mitchell4d are both working on another one tonight and Sean will have the commit analysis tomorrow. Mitch and I will have the 573 Report around lunch time tomorrow and I imagine we'll talk about this a little bit. Enjoy the night. As a friend texted me "This is a good day. We haven't had many of those."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News