ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL RECRUITING Some thoughts on Jontay

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
So, I want to throw out some thoughts on exactly what Mizzou is getting. I've seen this kid play quite a bit recently. So just some scattershooting:

-He can be an elite rebounder and a damn good shotblocker

-With him and Tilmon, whether they play together or separate, the interior defense has gotten much better

-He's got a nice shot and can handle the ball for a guy his size

-He plays--at least in high school and on the AAU circuit--like he wants to be a 6-11 shooting guard. It's going to take some time for Cuonzo to convince the kid Missouri is best (and his quickest path to getting paid to play) is to be an interior guy and not worry about running the break and shooting threes. That doesn't mean he can't shoot one now and then but it shouldn't be his focus

-The question many have about him (and I agree with it to be honest) is the motor. How hard does he play? In AAU ball, the answer was frequently not all that hard. Now, part of that is maybe he doesn't have to. It could certainly change when he gets to college around other guys who are just as good. But it's a switch that needs to be flipped.

-He's a good player. At this point, NOBODY views him as a one and done. That doesn't mean he can't become one. He had a hell of a summer. But I think that people expecting him to walk into a starting role and get a double double need to pump the brakes a little bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News