ADVERTISEMENT

SOMETHING TO PROVE SEC WEEK 1 (Points and Margin of Victory)

mglassma

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2008
I'm taking South Carolina and Florida out of the equation as both of those teams played ranked opponents. The rest of the SEC played varying levels of Blood Donors. And this chart shows how many points they put up against their paid cream puffs. The column with the () shows the margin of victory. It should come as no surprise to anyone on this board that Mizzou finished last in both categories.

OLE MISS 73. (67)
Auburn. 59. (45)
Alabama. 56. (49)
Arkansas 56. (43)
Texas A&M 52 (42)
Tennessee. 49. (36)
Georgia. 48 (41)
Miss. St. 48 (41)
Vanderbilt 47 (34)
Kentucky 44 (30)
Missouri 35 (25)

So we came into the season with the motto "SOMETHING TO PROVE." The facts showed 3 things. 1. We still don't play two halves of football 2. Our offense is still far behind the rest of our conference and 3. In the second half, despite playing most of our starters Drink was uber conservative and played NOT TO LOSE football against an FCS team instead of giving us a chance to increase the score and see some of our talented players make plays. I know this is only going to feed the trolls that are going to come out in force to say that South Dakota was playing their daunting cover 2 defense and that even the Chiefs and Mahomes would be forced to run the ball and dink and dunk them to death to win. I guess I'm curious what excuses the rest of our SEC foes had? Did none of them experience a cover 2 defense in week 1?

At the end of the day, lets stop making excuses. This team---of all teams---needs to show it can score points, make big plays and play two halves of football. This isn't a South Dakota and whatever they did to us kinda thing. This is an ELI DRINKWITZ thing.

And yes the South Dakota game may play out to be completely worthless in the grand scheme BUT I would much rather see us come out with SOMETHING TO PROVE and put an ass whooping on someone and run some damn offense and maybe prove that we can do things differently than we have in the past then be the clubhouse leader in futility after week one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News